• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

All About Flintlocks. Part Nine. Making Paper Cartridges.

Keith

Very Addicted
Paper cartridges were used by the military in smoothbore muskets, because it made loading faster. The military method of loading with a cartridge was to bite off the top of the cartridge & then prime the locks pan. Then tip the rest of the gunpowder down the barrel, then push the rest of the cartridge containing the lead ball down the barrel. I DO NOT recommend priming first, this is NOT a safe method. Load the gun first & then prime the pan last using your main powder horn.
4FG priming powder & priming horns never existed in the 18th century, this is a modern invention that is not required. Just prime your pan with the main powder horn.
Keith.

Civilian militia would also use paper cartridges as well as carrying a shot pouch & powder horn. Unlike the military, the militia had no following supply train, they had to carry all they needed themselves.
Cartridge_Box_2_Reduced.jpg
This is the copy of a militia cartridge box/Belly Box that I made for my own use.
Cartridge_Box_005_REDUCED.jpg
This cartridge box has two leather flaps, the inside one to ensure the cartridges do not get wet, & the outer securing flap. This outer flap is secured over a copper nail driven into the wood block.
Cartridge_Box_3_Reduced.jpg
The paper cartridges are placed in the holes in the wooden block.