• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

ALO ALO CARP’ers

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Are there any carp Angler’s here ? It’s been a passion of mine for about 30 odd years, only 10 of them years have I actually fished for them, the rest was watching Matt hays and John Wilson. And what I consider to be the godfather of carp, Chris yates, I was really bad at it for the first 6 years of the 10 and then drifted in and out of carp,pike,sea and fly. However I do feel iv went full circle😁 am back looking at carp gear again and also looking at carp venues that allow me to stay over night or more so to get the best of both world camping/fishing 😁 spent most of the day watching the oldies like passion for angling etc, fantastic, sorry a little excited 😆

Are there any carp Angler’s here ? It’s been a passion of mine for about 30 odd years, only 10 of them years have I actually fished for them, the rest was watching Matt hays and John Wilson. And what I consider to be the godfather of carp, Chris yates, I was really bad at it for the first 6 years of the 10 and then drifted in and out of carp,pike,sea and fly. However I do feel iv went full circle😁 am back looking at carp gear again and also looking at carp venues that allow me to stay over night or more so to get the best of both world camping/fishing 😁 spent most of the day watching the oldies like passion for angling etc, fantastic, sorry a little excited 😆
I've caught loads of carp over the years Mark using nothing more than my course gear with a quiver tip using sweetcorn as bait

I love catching carp off the surface , sunny day , free running dog biscuit , stalking the fish as they patrol the margins , nothing better 😁👍
The margins is where I take most of my carp Rob, ground bait lace up with a few sweetcorn and mixed with the corn liquid then a size 8 barbless hook. about a foot above the hook a sing AAA split shot for casting weight and I'm good to go, 2 years ago I was taking 16 pounders on that rig

@Joecole sweetcorn is my preferred bait also joe 👍🏻 Caught a few in the margins joe 😁 my biggest also 13lb goasty on 6lb line, am sure I broke out in a cold sweat 😰 I use 12lb now 😁

@Madriverrob not something I’ve tried mate, a do like a visual take tho so it’s on the cards. I have stalked carp a couple of times, all depending on how I feel on the day. Your right, nothing better 👍🏻

Been carp fishing once about 20 years ago, was good fun to catch them, but I'm more of a fish to eat type bloke, don't get on too well sitting there catching and releasing. I like to cast out, set my bite alarm and spend the next 6 hours doing something else while praying I get something for my tea!

1592856458914.jpeg
1592856458914.jpeg

Been looking at new rods 🤷🏼‍♂️😁 the venue I fish is on the small side, however being small it dose have a specimen lake, holding only carp, rages from 6lb to 22lb carp. I don’t have to cast far however I do need to cast loaded feeders out, so iv been looking at the fox horizon x3 3.5lbs 12ft.

what’s your preferred rod ??

Been looking at new rods 🤷🏼‍♂️😁 the venue I fish is on the small side, however being small it dose have a specimen lake, holding only carp, rages from 6lb to 22lb carp. I don’t have to cast far however I do need to cast loaded feeders out, so iv been looking at the fox horizon x3 3.5lbs 12ft.

what’s your preferred rod ??
I've got so many different ones mark. There's an old saying that floats catch anglers they don't catch fish, my honest opinion is that it's the bloke on the end of the the rod who catches the fish not the name printed on the side

I've got so many different ones mark. There's an old saying that floats catch anglers they don't catch fish, my honest opinion is that it's the bloke on the end of the the rod who catches the fish not the name printed on the side

Very true joe, the thing with the fox horizon rod is, iv had experience with them. I had two for pike fishing and I loved the casting abilities and handling whne fighting the fish, tho I must admit that I’m a tackle tart 😂

Very true joe, the thing with the fox horizon rod is, iv had experience with them. I had two for pike fishing and I loved the casting abilities and handling whne fighting the fish, tho I must admit that I’m a tackle tart 😂
If you're happy with it then go for it Mark, when I won the British army championship in Germany in 1978 my tackle cost about a quarter of some of the gear others were using but it was a confidence thing and I was more than confident that my stuff would do the job

If you're happy with it then go for it Mark, when I won the British army championship in Germany in 1978 my tackle cost about a quarter of some of the gear others were using but it was a confidence thing and I was more than confident that my stuff would do the job

That’s exactly it joe 👍🏻 Being confident in my gear sometimes demands the cost unfortunately, but the fox rods are budget cost so not to bad on the price at £109.

It's important to have absolute confidence in your tackle, it isn't about impressing the other blokes around the pond, it's about coming home smelling of fish. :whistle:

It would only take a pack of tinnies bobbing around in there with you to turn that into the perfect afternoon...of course you'd need to get out once in a while.
It puts me in mind of a Japanese game show where the contestants had to sit in a pool full of ice cubes and meltwater while drinking beer after beer. The one with the best bladder control who lasted longest won
There you go, yet again I've succeeded in lowering the tone of the debate :(

It would only take a pack of tinnies bobbing around in there with you to turn that into the perfect afternoon...of course you'd need to get out once in a while.
It puts me in mind of a Japanese game show where the contestants had to sit in a pool full of ice cubes and meltwater while drinking beer after beer. The one with the best bladder control who lasted longest won
There you go, yet again I've succeeded in lowering the tone of the debate :(
I remember seeing those games for masochistic would be samurai

Back