• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alternative to Svord?

Woodlander

Very Addicted
As to try in keeping with UK law, I stopped carrying fixed blade and locking knives. I have been looking at friction folders but all I can seem to find is the Svord Peasant and it has very mixed reviews. Is there any other affordable (£50 and under) make of friction folder out there? Any recommendations?

Opinel? Some of the smaller ones don’t have the locking ring and on those models that do it’s readily removable (without causing damage) with a pair of circlip pliers

The Opinel Carbone are very good, sharp and extremely light in rucksack or pocket.

They are very easy to sharpen, perfect for carving and cooking.

No 7 fits good in the pocket.
I recommend it, if you carry it regularly but use it seldom and usually for a short time.
Its sized for women.

No 8 fits good in the hand of men.
I recommend it, if you use it often and for longer times.

No 9 doesn't fit so good in the pocket. But it has a really long blade.

No 6 is sized for children.

You can easily remove the locking ring, for example to get sand out of it:

1. Close the knife and lock the blade in the closed position with the ring.
  2. Open the knife with pliers.
  3. The ring will fly away (in the direction of the open blade). If there is an empty corner it's better than searching for it for hours.
(4. It is easy to press the knife back in the ring, if you do it on a table.)

That knifes are extremely cheap for the offered quality. In Germany you get them in every knife shop, in France in nearly every tobacco shop or kitchen shop or supermarket. There you find them in every shopping street. That's because they are simply good and cheap.

They exist in an inox version for the same prices in the same sizes too. Of course the original Opinel Carbone versions are easier to sharpen with better results.

Last edited:
Second hand is your friend when buying a quality knife. I've just sold a second hand mint condition Helle lock knife for £70 while they retail at £130ish. I've also let go of a Swedish barrel knife recently. Old styl army pocket knives will take a razor edge

As to try in keeping with UK law, I stopped carrying fixed blade and locking knives. I have been looking at friction folders but all I can seem to find is the Svord Peasant and it has very mixed reviews. Is there any other affordable (£50 and under) make of friction folder out there? Any recommendations?
I would definitely go for an opinel, mine still has the locking ring and I do carry it all the time. Perhaps because of my age the local law don't see me as posing a threat to the public in general.

Opinel? Some of the smaller ones don’t have the locking ring and on those models that do it’s readily removable (without causing damage) with a pair of circlip pliers
The Opinel Carbone are very good, sharp and extremely light in rucksack or pocket.
I would definitely go for an opinel, mine still has the locking ring and I do carry it all the time. Perhaps because of my age the local law don't see me as posing a threat to the public in general.

I have and use my opinel as my main knife, find the blade is a bit flexible when doing larger cuts so was looking for something with a bit more meat to the blade.

I have and use my opinel as my main knife, find the blade is a bit flexible when doing larger cuts so was looking for something with a bit more meat to the blade.
Agreed they are on the thin side but mine does everything I ask of it

I never managed to break an Opinel Carbone. But of course I am a bit careful.

I wish to keep my fingers and the knives.

My brother has a couple of them for everything. He usually cuts vegetables with this No 7 inox version. He is a farmer and uses it on the field.
I don't know how he misused it to loose the tip. I guess he used it as a screwdriver ...

Here you can see my hand ( glove size 10,5)holding the No7.
As you see it's possible to use it, but if I would like to produce 100 Tent pegs in one rush I would prefer the No 8, which fits in my hand without the risk to touch with the finger the edge.
(To produce 1000 Pegs in one rush I would take No9.)

Here No 7:

The finger could touch the edge.
(With No 8 or No 9 the distance would be long enough.)

It's possible to avoid it:

Back