• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alum mine , Sandsend North Yorkshire

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Al ( @Bopdude ) and I managed to get out for a quick overnighter , weather report was fair and we were not ntending to bivvy . Al wanted to try out a trail star clone and I would be using a small Kathmandu tarp and MOD bivvy bag .

We had a few beers lined up and a couple of stews . Last time we camped we hid some wood and coal so had plenty of fuel for a fire.

Here’s a few pics for you ......

4E5FFFB4-7BC8-4AFA-BFFE-035FDD388C9A.jpeg
51BBD903-CE8F-4FD9-A4BB-B915E8351A6B.jpeg
B08E1B30-5CD6-41C9-9E79-AC8652246C2D.jpeg
5DFCFF74-9246-4415-B835-F8FD4AE8EA7E.jpeg
5732DE5E-4B9D-4879-9E5D-6A03F5AAF19B.jpeg
7EB3ED6F-2CE4-480F-A29F-3B88975CAD5E.jpeg
D515928D-43CD-4E8D-8D80-22DAAF451C45.jpeg
E2294976-9448-47B7-AA00-AAC7DFB82B1A.jpeg
7C7EC2D7-42F8-4214-8AFF-B55A51531D7C.jpeg
6C072458-3A02-484A-9438-C2CA33AD8C6A.jpeg
8283B00B-46BD-4501-A19B-C00110FA3D02.jpeg
608EC151-09B4-46E9-AD5F-A6CAB7E9D783.jpeg
B2A3CB77-352D-401E-94C4-24C20670DE7D.jpeg
55B88055-6CDA-4AE7-A482-E9DCDCE999F7.jpeg
5E0DD105-8193-40D4-ACAE-227FA6A83AFA.jpeg

Twas a good overnight, the Trailstar clone is great, a lot of room for such a tiny size and weight, the line locks slip so a quick release knot is needed for a quick fix.

Twas a good overnight, the Trailstar clone is great, a lot of room for such a tiny size and weight, the line locks slip so a quick release knot is needed for a quick fix.

These may be of interest to you Al.......bought them for my Tarp shelter and will be changing the Fairbanks ones too.
They bite and lock a treat.....just a thought :thumbsup:

I was offered a trail star clone in green, second hand but nearly not used for 50€.

Do you think, it's the same as yours?

Spot on lads :D always good to see others out enjoying themselvens when am stuck in the hoos :sneaky:

My mouth started to water when I seen that stake 🤤... cracking spot yous picked the pictures are great :thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam
I was offered a trail star clone in green, second hand but nearly not used for 50€.

Do you think, it's the same as yours?

If it was a Chinese make then possibly ?

Spot on lads :D always good to see others out enjoying themselvens when am stuck in the hoos :sneaky:

My mouth started to water when I seen that stake 🤤... cracking spot yous picked the pictures are great :thumbsup:

Cheers, it is a nice spot but stay tuned, can't say any more :)

If I round in the tip a hasel stick well with a sharp knife, can I use it as pole instead of your walking stick???

Or do you think it would destroy the fabric?

Yes, or put down your tent to reach your titanium mug...

Its interesting, if we speak about ultra light tents.

The Luxe Outdoor SilHexpeak V4a is so strong reinforced, that I don't need to worry about it. I can use every nature stick as pole, and it has a loop in the tip to hang it under two poles or at a washing line or under a branch.

684g and 160€ outer tent alone.

But that's constructed by a real bushcrafter I personally know. Most ultra light tents seem to count with a commercial walking stick.

There are videos in the end! Its written grey: "Video" if you press it you can see them!

If I stay in the woods, that makes really a difference in total weight!

What's the correct weight of the trail star clone???

Last edited:
This video shows very well a couple of details and the second option how to pitch the tent, which is in my opinion easier in the beginning but to stressy in the long run.
Very funny: The guy who made this video trusts so much in the strong reinforcement, that he integrates the trekking pole wrong: He puts it in upside down! ......;0)......;0).....;0)

I guess, if he would do that with another ultra light tent, he would destroy it immediately in front of the camera.

(In that point is well visible that Kai Sackmann doesn't have any idea about bushcraft!
In his other videos he mainly tells nonsens in my opinion, some really dangerous misunderstandings too. But doesn't matter, this video here is pretty good.)

Here you see the green tent, in the last video it was the brown tent (called desert).
I bought it for France, but it blends in well in Germany too, but I think in Britain the green one would be better.

Last edited:
If I round in the tip a hasel stick well with a sharp knife, can I use it as pole instead of your walking stick???

Or do you think it would destroy the fabric?

I have a tennis ball that I use if needed, just take an old tennis ball and make a slit in it, insert stick into the slit and voilà puncture proof tent support

By the way:

I just bought the outer tent and use it in combination with the zipped Snugpack Special Forces bivvy bag (340g).

That's lighter.

That's more versatile and protects the sleeping bag well. In tents of this design we usually get a lot of condensation at the inner side of the outer tent if we use it in not totally hot-dry conditions.
I guess in Britain you have such conditions only in Gibraltar, and only if the weather is fine.

I often sleep only in the bivvy bag without using the tent.

And I prefere of course to use braces and belt to secure my trousers.
;0)

The tent is incredibly strong. It can be used in the mountains without any doubt.
But I usually have two light stainless steel bottles with me, and love to use equipment with overlapping functions, where in case of emergency one piece of equipment can replace the other:
Broken bivvy bag in tent or bivvy bag instead of broken tent or normally both together!

Or as you know I usually use not this tent for solo hiking in woodland but the ultra light bivvy bag and an ultralight military poncho as mini tarp (Defcon 5, 400g) because I could make a bivvy bag from the poncho too.

That's the way I use to organize my kit!

Sorry for this. But I think, SilHexpeak V4A and trail star and its clone are in a direct competition, and it's worth to compare them.

The tennis ball trick is new to me.

Congratulations! I don't learn so often new bushcraft skills any more!

What's the weight of your trail star clone?
And what did you pay for it?

How is it called? Where did you buy it?

Last edited:
Back