• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

An April woodland lunch with my wife

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
We went on a wee jaunt to our local glen on Friday for some lunch.

I've tried to ID some of the plants I saw (see comments in the video text also) but not sure of them. Below are more close up pics of these.

Unknown?
2018-04-22 11_17_56-2018-04-20 13.30.50.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png

Wood sorrel?
2018-04-22 11_18_51-2018-04-20 13.30.39.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png

Possibly Mercurialis Perennis aka Dog's Mercury:
2018-04-22 11_19_14-2018-04-20 13.30.30.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png 20180420-IMG_5505.jpg

Not gend up on plant I.d. Myself........but do have a Collins little gem plant identification book that gives positive and reliable information......if you are thinking about consuming some of these plants it is best to have your own reliable reference to refer too before using any of them.

Great little books that fit easily into a map/jacket pocket or in the pack.......lots of pictures and professional write ups about individual plants.
Pick them up on eBay for not much money :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, Yes, I have Collins 'Trees' and 'Food for Free' but not the plant one. Might give that a try.

Wasn't thinking of eating them, just ID'ing really. :)

I have troubles identifying the top and bottom one as not enough info is provided (it is advisable to take pics from the bottom side too and from flower cobs etc.)

The middle one seems like an oxalis (wood sorrel) indeed. Do you have pics of the flowers? They should have five white petals with yellow reproduction organs. Then you deal with oxalis acetosella (the most common one, see here: OXALIS )

A word of warning: Consume oxalis in small doses only (a palm full is more than enough). It contains oxalic acid which is bad for tissue, kidneys and other organs. In humans, ingested oxalic acid has an oral LDLo (lowest published lethal dose) of 600 mg/kg. It has been reported that the lethal oral dose is 15 to 30 grams.

The ladybug-pic could show mercurialis perennis, I think - the flower buds seem like typical mercurialis perennis buds. But to be sure more pics would be needed. Please note the plant is also toxic (unless processed - that is with heat, by means of boiling for example).

Back