• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

An old Martindale.

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
This old Martindale is a marriage of a 1944 sheath and a slightly later machete. This is a lot more common than you'd expect, the leather sheaths were shelved in favour of canvas because the leather rotted in next to no time in Burma. There is no implication of dishonesty, it is simply that the leather sheaths stayed in stores while the matching Martindale machetes went off into combat.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This old Martindale is a marriage of a 1944 sheath and a slightly later machete. This is a lot more common than you'd expect, the leather sheaths were shelved in favour of canvas because the leather rotted in next to no time in Burma. There is no implication of dishonesty, it is simply that the leather sheaths stayed in stores while the matching Martindale machetes went off into combat.View attachment 18928View attachment 18929View attachment 18930
They did what was asked of them but in my day were usually issued to the Royal Engineers

My Grandad had one, He was signals attached to the West Yorks Regiment out of Queensbury Barracks.
My parent unit was signals and I was fortunate to get hold of a martindale in the original leather sheath, I had it cut down to about a foot, unfortunately some nice person stole it

Since I'm going to be clearing my garden with it I'll let you know how I get on. It's got a little wild and needs some serious attention.

Thats a nice bit of kit. Grandad had one just like it. But no sheath, was in the kitchen drawer used it as a carving and butchery knife

We had them in our engineer G10 toolboxes , I still have one from my time in a sapper field section in the 80’s

Great bit of kit , does what it says on the tin , we used them for all and everything . All sappers have access to a tool kit with a multitude of tools for all tasks that they might come across .

Improvise , Adapt and Overcome .....

Mine has a date stamp of 1943 , sheath also marked with callsign 22A and painted blue to denote which troop and to stop it being liberated 😳

57CD6F4A-4CA9-42AF-A574-906F9BB4186B.jpeg
74B5D616-7AAA-4847-BA45-3A90C04892AB.jpeg
BB49604F-5625-4310-81FE-02CF58BA4B33.jpeg

A bit of Googling indicates mine is not a Martindale but is known as a " Kitchin Commando" and was a genuine WW2 issue item. Some forums it even has some value :) , might have to give it some TLC .

I've tried it out and I prefer my billhook so it's off to Carmarthen flea market with it...unless anyone wants to make me an offer for it before tomorrow.

Back