• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

And now some good news..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
In recent months I've become increasingly worried about my older Sister who shows signs of the possible onset of Dementia. I took the plunge and "Interfered" as she would call my actions, I wrote to the local Surgery and also Social Services in her area of Lincolnshire.

Three days later I get a 'phone call from the Practice Manager at the Surgery and today a call from Social services. Both absolutely on the ball, extremely helpful and understanding. Sister's now on a Watch List and will receive regular safety checks. Pretty good reaction from over stretched services 280+ miles from me, who requested their assistance. 👍

Sax, you got the ball rolling. Many times if the authorities are not alerted to people such as your sister slip through the net then it's those very people at the surgery and in social services that are then blamed. I often think if relatives and neighbours took a bit more interest, our vulnerable and elderly would fare better. It's commendable that you took the decision to 'interfere' :thumbsup:

I would have understood a limited response from both contacts given how busy they must be, but phone calls from people who instantly understood the situation was very reassuring.
Interestingly, absolute zero from her Bank. I asked them to invoke the voluntary system that the major Banks are signed up to where they keep an eye on vulnerable customer's accounts.

My Sister complained to me last week that the Bank had given her less cash than she had asked for. 10 x 10 SHILLING notes instead of £100 !! Same colour as the old notes is confusing her...She took a heck of a lot of convincing on the phone that she hadn't been short changed by the Bank

Thanks Annie. I'm on thin ice, if she finds out that I am 'interfering' she won't speak to me on the phone in future. Last week she complained her electric cooker was broken. A helpful neighbour found she had switched it off at the cooker socket. If she can't remember to switch it on , she may forget to switch it off at the hot plates. 🤷‍♂️

sorry to hear about your sister sax 😞

Must be a relief for you tho that she’s being checked up on 👍🏻 A little piece of mind go’s a long way

Unfortunately it happens, recently my Mother voluntarily gave me power of attorney...though frankly she is more on the ball than I am.
My old dear moved in with us over a year ago, good job too with covid. As it was I was going up to hers every week to get shopping and do what was needed. It took a fair bit of persuading including getting an Occupational Therapist round to reinforce it (she was brilliant, couldn't have been better if I'd handed her a script). Both me and my brother have had power of attorney for years, even when my old man was alive, they were quite proactive like that.

Fortunately my mum trusts us and does respond to our 'advice', things could be a lot worse I guess.

I got power of attorney for my mum when she was 97. Until then she was well aware but got a bit muddled later. Best thing we did taking over the finances. She made it to 101 bless her. We have already set up POA for both of us so the kids can take over when necessary. I think we are still fairly switched on for early 70's but dementia can strike quicker than you might think.

I got power of attorney for my mum when she was 97. Until then she was well aware but got a bit muddled later. Best thing we did taking over the finances. She made it to 101 bless her. We have already set up POA for both of us so the kids can take over when necessary. I think we are still fairly switched on for early 70's but dementia can strike quicker than you might think.
My missus has power of attorney for me because I spent a lot of time away, funnily enough I've not got it for her.... 🤔

Shrewd move Sax.
In his twilight years my father lived with my step-mother, Florence, in private accomodation for old folk. Each apartment is very well appointed and comes with a red emergency pullcord, microphone and a speaker in each room. Pull the cord and within seconds an attentive watchman comes through on the speaker to find out if the old person has suffered a fall, or whatever.
One day, after lunch, my father took a nap. On waking up he couldn't see Florence and assumed she was elsewhere in the building. After waiting a while he decided to look for her. He went into the communal lounge downstairs and she wasn't there. He looked in the garden - not there. He searched everywhere he could think of - no luck. Now he was seriously worried, had she walked out of the building and was wandering the streets?
He returned to his apartment and pulled the red cord! The nice man answered and my father explained to him what the problem was.
The man then followed the script he had and immediately called the local police to explain that a very elderly woman was probably wandering the street in a daze! The police immediately despatched a squad car with blues and two on.
Next on the script the nice man called my brother, who is listed as next of kin and lives locally. He explained to my brother that his father had reported that Florence had mysteriously gone missing and gave all the details.
To which my brother replied 'I think you will find that Florence has been in hospital for the last three weeks'!
This was the proof absolute that our father really did have dementia!

Story made me laugh, but people afflicted with Dementia seem to live in a different Universe. At every Sunday evening telephone conversation my Sister complains bitterly that the BBC no longer allow Terry Wogan to broadcast his morning Radio show. Tomorrow evening will be no exception, and I'll explain...again.

Dementia is the most despicable disease. I work at such a place as @Ichneumon has described and it breaks my heart watching people I have come to know and regard lose themselves a piece at a time.
My mum doesn't have dementia but she's a pale shadow of the woman she was, its not nice watching someone who was always a sharp and thoughtful woman diminish. I take my hat off to you and other carers, its a job I'd struggle with.

It is that Annie. My Sister was once Head Cashier for Southern Region Mecca Entertainments, she could add great columns of figures in her head. Now she can't count the change in her purse...

My mum doesn't have dementia but she's a pale shadow of the woman she was, its not nice watching someone who was always a sharp and thoughtful woman diminish. I take my hat off to you and other carers, its a job I'd struggle with.
Oh I'm not a carer, I don't have the stomach for it. I work on reception so I probably see more of the residents than their family do.

Dementia is the most despicable disease. I work at such a place as @Ichneumon has described and it breaks my heart watching people I have come to know and regard lose themselves a piece at a time.
My story was funny, but to be serious, watching my father going to pieces was not funny when you consider that he had been a WW2 Spitfire pilot. Sharp as a lance and as fit as a fiddle all his life. :(

Attachments

• Dad.jpg
    Dad.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 51
Back