• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Animals.

Very true Denidoom but I also have little faith in vitamin supplements or the need for them when I can brine or pickle plenty of veg.
Carrots, cabbage, kale and beans all keep well. We also grow pumpkins and apples that keep well over winter and the 40' greenhouse keeps us ticking over.
I visit the coast to go fishing and at low tide I collect samphire in order to pickle it and seaweed fo make lavabread......These will help stave off vitamin deficiency over winter.

Kale, leeks, early purple sprouting broccoli and turnip tops should all be available most of the winter, if you can keep the poultry and the pigeons off them

HOW COULD YOU !!!!!

Attachments

• double facepalm.jpg
    double facepalm.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 182
Last year I grew some Borlotti Beans, those beans that have a "marbled" appearance, they were superb croppers with decent sized beans that have a very meaty consistency, well recommended. I got them from Thompson & Morgan.

Yous lot will come in handy when I eventually get round to putting in a veg garden lol. Should be later this year.

Last year I grew some Borlotti Beans, those beans that have a "marbled" appearance, they were superb croppers with decent sized beans that have a very meaty consistency, well recommended. I got them from Thompson & Morgan.

I grow these up wigwams and plant the winter squash in the same space to let them ramble around, keep the weeds down and help with moisture retention. Saves getting the hoe out.

I grow these up wigwams and plant the winter squash in the same space to let them ramble around, keep the weeds down and help with moisture retention. Saves getting the hoe out.
Never tried wigwams, I like mine in regimented rows with salad crops between.

Have you heard of the three sisters planting scheme, plant corn, squash between the corn and beans to grow up the corn, the beans are supposed to fix nitrogen in the soil to enrich it for the squash. I have tried it but it wasn't very successful for me I think they needed more space than I gave them. Runner beans always do well and last year I planted squash directly onto the compost heap and got a good harvest from there

Have you heard of the three sisters planting scheme, plant corn, squash between the corn and beans to grow up the corn, the beans are supposed to fix nitrogen in the soil to enrich it for the squash. I have tried it but it wasn't very successful for me I think they needed more space than I gave them. Runner beans always do well and last year I planted squash directly onto the compost heap and got a good harvest from there
It's the classic New World planting scheme used by the Aztecs, Maya etc. I also read somewhere that the Aztecs used to put a Fish in the hole for the Corn, something to do with nutrients. Makes sense as Fish meal is a common garden additive.

I tried the system too and found much the same thing. If you look into the history of the three sisters system the varieties that were originally grown were harvested all together, so drying beans, maize and winter squash. So I just removed the Maize elment and it works very well.

Back