• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Animals.

lonewolf

Slightly Obsessed
from a prepper point of view we aren't necessarily going to be keeping large animals like cows or even sheep in our back gardens:D
we should focus on smaller animals that can be kept in pens or small cages, maybe in a large shed or two.
stuff like chickens, rabbits, pheasants, maybe a duck or two, guinea pigs.

Quail too, partridge worked well, gleanies (guinea fowl) are great for telling you foxy is about and great eating, downside is I had to shoot one every time I wanted one for the table because they're VERY free range.
Pheasants, I really like as they are easy to keep relatively close with feeders with the added bonus of attracting woodies and squirrels

I think one of the most prolific animals to consider for converting plant matter into meat ( Insects aside ) are Rabbits , their ability to grow and speed of their reproduction whilst being able to convert plant matter makes them a prime candidate for a Self Reliant Individual to consider for long term meat growth and production.

There are plenty of Vids on YT about growing a large amount of Rabbits for Harvest in a small area ( personal ethics aside ) so a small outbuilding could easily get converted to a Rabbit Farm.

Shame i'm not much a fan of the taste - but there you go!

I love rabbit meat, just remember we cannot survive on rabbit meat on its own i.e. "rabbit starvation".

I love rabbit meat, just remember we cannot survive on rabbit meat on its own i.e. "rabbit starvation".

Indeed , and for those interested :- http://knowledgenuts.com/2015/01/21/how-to-starve-to-death-while-stuffing-yourself-with-rabbit-meat/

I feel most prepper types should get a basic grounding in Human physiology , to just get to a level where they can understand ( slightly beyond the basics ) of what the human body needs to survive and conversely what kills it.

I like Cody Lundins Two books but his first is the better one to learn about Human Requirements for Survival.

https://wordery.com/986-the-art-of-...dZM3dPTkE9PQ&gclid=CLi8kJLJ_dECFeMp0wodvk8I2g

It's the lack of vitamins in it that will kill you though, digesting rabbit uses more vitamins than it provides. Treating rabbit as raw protein and adding carbs (as animal fat just like you say) and also essential vitamins from green veg like kale, winter greens etc will negate the rabbit starvation.
Starvation is a misnomer anyway, it's malnutrition. The same way people who live on sugary snacks for energy while never eating a proper meal lack stamina and have vitamin deficiency.

living on rabbit meat ALONE for any length of time is what will kill you, there are stories of miners in the mountains of the old west dying from rabbit malnutrition in the winter because that is all they could catch and no greens growing during the winter months, snowed in too so they couldn't get any supplies from town.

Yup, it's important to balance your diet. Incidentally my favourite rabbit recipe is rabbit parfait served on hot toast (home made) served with a small bowl of thick nettle soup.
I derive a lot of satisfaction from getting my own back on both rabbits and nettles, call me vindictive if you like. Lol

Now you're talking my language Lonewolf I love wild meat. Fur, fish or fowl. I may be the worlds slowest butcher but there's something about eating game, especially if you know where it came from. Plenty of veggies and maybe a bit of home-brew and you have a meal fit for anyone.

wild game is good, its lean and dosent have the additives of processed meat, you know its had a good life much better than commercial meat species.

living on rabbit meat ALONE for any length of time is what will kill you, there are stories of miners in the mountains of the old west dying from rabbit malnutrition in the winter because that is all they could catch and no greens growing during the winter months, snowed in too so they couldn't get any supplies from town.

They died from vitamin A deficiency - that's what's missing in mr rabbit.

My sheep are multipurpose, good for fleece, meat and milk. I haven't tried milking them but I used to keep goats, many years ago, and made yoghurt and cheese. If necessary I could do the same with the sheep. I would expect to turn sheep onto the fell if shtf and keep a few at home for milk.

The moral of this story seems to be, don't forget to add multivitamin supplements to your prepping list ;)
The moral of that story is to eat your greens, rabbit must be eaten as part of a balanced diet. Yes Kublai, wood pigeon is delicious and so easy to prep compared to rabbit. I usually just breast them and shallow fry them in a covered pan.

Back