• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Animals.

Nowt better than eating something you have raised yourself mate. Experiment and never be worried to plant anything new, that's where the fun is

Always wanted to but never did. Fingers crossed for this year though. That’s if all goes to plan

Very true Denidoom but I also have little faith in vitamin supplements or the need for them when I can brine or pickle plenty of veg.
Carrots, cabbage, kale and beans all keep well. We also grow pumpkins and apples that keep well over winter and the 40' greenhouse keeps us ticking over.
I visit the coast to go fishing and at low tide I collect samphire in order to pickle it and seaweed fo make lavabread......These will help stave off vitamin deficiency over winter.

Have you created any posts on how to brine and pickle different plants? I make jams and chutney, but so far I haven't pickled anything apart from onions. Some great ideas for winter vitamins!

I haven't posted anything but here is a link to an extremely concise very simple how to page.
http://www.foodsafetysite.com/resources/word/desk/DRSalting.doc.
Everything that I do came out of an old cookbook.
The samphire is even easier, just quickly blanch it and put it in a sterile jar before pouring freshly boiled dilute (to taste) white vinegar over it until it's covered. Don't cook it or it just turns to mush. (Similar to making pickled eggs)

Last edited:
Thank you @ystranc. That document is really useful, particularly with the very clear tables on the salt/water ratio for different strengths of brine as a percentage. I think I'm going to start with shredded cabbage using the dry salted method.

We pickle Chillies.

I usually just dry chillies and have a great method. I dry them in the fridge, just bung them in a plastic container without the lid on and they gradually dry. I find one good plant keeps me in chillies for nearly a year (for cooking). I just cut them off and pop them in the fridge when they reach the colour I want. The pickle method would be great for Jalapeno though. I need to try and grow them.

I hatched some eggs last weekend so have been looking after them this week, have more in the incubstor. I have also watched a series on raising rabbits for meat which was great. I love rabbit stew and am seriously thinking of getting a set up as I can never find any at the local butcher. Needs to be stewed for a long time though.

With rabbit I just cook the back legs and saddle. I like to do the leg meat in a slow cooker just in stock. Then I can strip the meat off easily and use it in any recipe I choose.

Last edited:
I regularly bag a few bunnies from the croft land around us here. Shetland is nearly crawling in rabbits so its very easy to pop out and shoot a few. We also keep chickens (hens and cocks), a few turkeys and also keep a small number of sheep in the garden.
I love rabbit curry done in the slow cooker, and our dogs love any excess meat and they get to eat the 'gibblets'

I usually give the entire front half to the dogs or put it through the mincer for the cats...waste not, want not.
It's much healthier then the waterlogged rubbish that you can buy in cans and they just love it.

I regularly bag a few bunnies from the croft land around us here. Shetland is nearly crawling in rabbits so its very easy to pop out and shoot a few. We also keep chickens (hens and cocks), a few turkeys and also keep a small number of sheep in the garden.
I love rabbit curry done in the slow cooker, and our dogs love any excess meat and they get to eat the 'gibblets'

Wouldnt mind the instructions for the rabbit curry NORTH, love a good curry.

That would be a motivating factor in keeping rabbits for meat as I do have animals and in a SHTF scenario then there would likely be no pet shops so being able to feed my dog and cats would also be important. I actually looked to see what rabbits they had today in the pet shop lol, I would buy some from a breeder if I brought some but I am seriously mulling it over after watching that series. The only problem is that I do not have any grass, all my garden is turned over to veg beds. I hate mowing lawns so I have got rid of them al. I think you need an amount of pasture if you are going to do it cost effectively

That would be a motivating factor in keeping rabbits for meat as I do have animals and in a SHTF scenario then there would likely be no pet shops so being able to feed my dog and cats would also be important. I actually looked to see what rabbits they had today in the pet shop lol, I would buy some from a breeder if I brought some but I am seriously mulling it over after watching that series. The only problem is that I do not have any grass, all my garden is turned over to veg beds. I hate mowing lawns so I have got rid of them al. I think you need an amount of pasture if you are going to do it cost effectively

If you look on youtube most the yanks just keep them in cages bud, but i like you would like to give them some sort of life before they go in my belly.

Wouldnt mind the instructions for the rabbit curry NORTH, love a good curry.
To be honest, I usually cook a curry using sauce from a jar. I just pick what we have, using the one at the front of the stocks. The only thing I do any different is add extra water, about half a jars worth, and throw in the slow cooker with the rabbit meat and other required ingredients.
Ideally I like to let the whole thing brew for about 12 hours, and by then the meat just falls off the bones. I just love the added dimension of the taste of rabbit meat in curry.
I find a spicier curry works best, rather than things like Korma or tikka masala. A good madras, or even a jalfrezi.

Awww North you let me down hahaha

But sometimes simple is best hey.

Try this one mate

1 large onion choped finely
6 garlic cloves
4 table spoons of vegetable oil

Heat the oil up then add the onion and garlic cook until paste like

50g of ginger grated and added to the mix

2 tbsp of cumin seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1 cinnamon stick (remove when curry is cooked lol)
2tsp of chilly flakes
1tsp of garam masala
Add the rabbit now and 250ml of hot chicken stock
1tsp turmeric
1tsp of caster sugar
400g Or there about of Chopped tomato’s
2 tbsp chopped coriander

Cook on low heat

add some more water if it gets to thick but make sure the water is hot before adding

i will indeed Ark thanks
cooked a few currys but always end up to spicy(alright for me ,but not the wife and little one).

It’s a good all round curry. Best results are slow cooking. If using Turkey especially

Back