• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Another antique axe

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
Made in France at the Saut du Tarn steelworks by Léon Talabot some time between 1824 and 1832....more likely for firewood than chopping off heads but it does have that look of a headsmans axe.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
That it has Mark, it looks like some Norseman should be wielding it. It's up for sale though, I've just listed it on etsy.com because I can't keep them all...I bought five hatchets yesterday....I think my problem is starting to get out of hand. :oopsy:

That it has Mark, it looks like some Norseman should be wielding it. It's up for sale though, I've just listed it on etsy.com because I can't keep them all...I bought five hatchets yesterday....I think my problem is starting to get out of hand. :oopsy:

Its only a problem when you run out of space to put them. ;)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread David, I have a small addiction to sharp, pointy or choppy things. Unfortunately I can't keep them all or my study would look medieval. The axe must go.
A friend of mine has found me another two and three quarter pound Elwell to replace the one that I traded to Jon but in return I've promised Louise I'd thin out my collection. The Karl Prinz side axe has already gone to a collector, as have a few others. I've a stack of Elwell number 5's to sort out and a couple of splitting mauls to go.
It seems a pity to get rid of them but still, no flowers without rain, eh?

I did find a nice Martindale golock as well but I have not felt the need to mention that to her as it goes very nicely with my other kit. With an issue date of 1983 I can just about slip it into my collection as vintage.

I did find a nice Martindale golock as well but I have not felt the need to mention that to her as it goes very nicely with my other kit. With an issue date of 1983 I can just about slip it into my collection as vintage.
[/

Sneaky man:lol: one must do what one must do

That makes me feel old. :(

Ah, now I understand why you feel old...it's because we are old...notice I said we...not taking the piss at all.

Ah, now I understand why you feel old...it's because we are old...notice I said we...not taking the piss at all.

It is what it is mate and I certainly wouldn't want to be 21 again, not if it means having all those young man issues going on. Happy to grow old disgracefully.

While I can't say I've lead a perfect life and every decision I've made has been correct, in the balance I can't complain, more right than wrong overall and its made me the smooth pimp daddy I am today. :cool:

I'm cool with 'me'. The missus has a different point of view right enough. :lol:

I'm cool with me as I am now but I was a right little shit when I was growing up, I could have been better than I was.

Part of the growing up process mate, you're not born 40 years old, most of us have done stuff we're not proud of but if its just the common or garden arseholeness then while I feel a bit bad for some of it, I've not seriously fecked up anyone. I'd rather not have been that prick but we all are or were.

Back