• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Another Failed Ferro-rod Fiasco

If you get the chance char Birch Pollypore (Razor Strop Fungus) works fantastic, do the same way as charred cloth but takes much longer due to the moisture content, will take a spark from ferro rod and have managed to do it with flint and steel.

Reedmace/bullrush is one of my favourite tinders (Bog cotton too but good luck finding that this time of year) these are flash tinders so need mixing with something that will burn more slowly (e.g. Strips of birch bark).
I like to carry a ferro rod and experiment when I see something that looks like it would take a spark. Fluffy seed heads like travellers joy and rosebay Willowherb and some willow work too.
Might be a good idea to carry more than one tinder. I like to use natural tinders too. I kind of feel otherwise I may as well just use my lighter. Don't tell anyone but I do sometimes just use my lighter.🙊

I think its great to use natural materials and traditional methods for fire lighting.
But I also think it's a good idea to have a almost failsafe method in the pack/bag to get a fire going if all else fails......something to fall back on.

I always have a fire biscuit or two that I can fall back on.....to be truthful I use them most of the time now.
There are other options like conventional fire lighters.....wet fire.......vaseline and cotton buds etc.

It can make the difference between having no hot drink and food/warmth.

Thanks Rob, I'll have a look at that.
I've been successful on several occasions with lighting birch bark with my ferro rod now so think I've improved my technique.
Nice video Paul and young Mel certainly looked like she was enjoying hersellf:thumbsup:

Yes Joe, she actually asked to come out with me for a change. She was cold but enjoyed the fresh air.
I thought it was a bit chilly when she had the blanket round her shoulders

Just to clarify, are you using a tinderbox to extinguish burning materiel in order to make charred natural tinder? That is how I do it using flint and steel (flint and steel creat a cooler spark than a ferroceum rod so it is a little more tricky). When you suffocate a flame without crushing the structure of the tinder it will take a spark more easily next time. Topping up your tinderbox with dry natural materiel each time you use it.
Some of Keith Burgess's old videos are still in the archive, he may have been a bit bossy but his Flint and steel skills were second to none.

Just to clarify, are you using a tinderbox to extinguish burning materiel in order to make charred natural tinder? That is how I do it using flint and steel (flint and steel creat a cooler spark than a ferroceum rod so it is a little more tricky). When you suffocate a flame without crushing the structure of the tinder it will take a spark more easily next time. Topping up your tinderbox with dry natural materiel each time you use it.
Some of Keith Burgess's old videos are still in the archive, he may have been a bit bossy but his Flint and steel skills were second to none.
A nice bit of char cloth and your fero rod will work every time

not something I’ve tried, I have made char cloth tho, really simple to be honest. Pellet tin and an old T-shirt, poke a hole in the lid of the tin then place a few chopped up pieces of cloth in and stick it at the edge of the fire, when the smoke stops poring out the hole the job is done 👍🏻 Yous veterans will probably know this however I felt the need to say 😂

I like denim as char cloth but here is a picture of my tinder box at home. This one is used most days.
image.jpeg

It does definitely work Med, I can vouch for that. When I was about 12 I set fire to a soft fruit orchard....Rows and rows of Gooseberries, Black and Red Currants all surrounded by a wire fence. Dead dry grass growing round the fence posts where the mower couldn't get at it. Sitting in the sun with my mates scorching holes in a comic book with a magnifying glass.
" See if it burns grass " said one of the gang...It did and the breeze caught it. Next thing we knew the flames got into the rows of bone dry cut grass that the mower had left between the fruit bushes.

We legged it but just could not resist going back to watch the Fire Brigade turn up. The flash fire burned the dead grass and cooked the lower fruit on the bushes. Warm lightly browned Goose Gogs...:p Lovely ! scoffed loads of them and my punishment from the Gods for causing the fire ?....about 2 bog rolls of sitting on the loo. :rofl:

Magnifying glass + char cloth...easy...👍

Back