• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Anti-stab/bullet proof vest

Offgrid hero

Slightly Addicted
Anybody got one ? Seems like a sensible thing to have on the hook,any recommendations? ex police ones seem to be around £50.

I'm not that struck on them to be honest, they can be restrictive and if your up against a good knife fighter he/she will attack your hands/legs/face before the kill strike (its what I'd do anyway in a self defense situation).

Having spent a lot of time wearing various types of body armour I wouldn't choose to wear it all the time but if it was had for free or cheap, I'd consider having a set to put on if someone was shooting at me or if I was performing some form of static sentry duty on a location, the same would apply for a helmet which in some ways would be more useful as your head is pretty important and vulnerable.

Realistically anything advertised as bullet proof needs to have a qualifier of what type of bullet fired from what type of weapon. To stop rifle rounds then you need to be wearing ceramic plates which are expensive, bulky and heavy.

Purely Kevlar vests are generally stab and shrapnel proof; they may stop shotgun pellets or pistol rounds but it would still hurt, possibly knock you out or even cause internal injuries.

I couldn't think of the right word to describe a degree of protection against a bullet I know bullet proof isn't correct, I'm thinking if I can find a anti-stab one for the right price,not too bulky I would have the option of putting it on if I was concerned about a situation say investigating possible intruders, like you say some head protection as long as it didn't affect the sences couldn't hurt.

I would second that. Krav maga (self defence) can help......be prepared to get hit lol.

Kevlar would be your best bet. I would recommend them for stab proof. Had one a few years back.....got it on line......and I can personally say they are stab proof (luckily lol)

OH your better off learning krav maga

Learning any form of Martial art to a level where it is seriously useful requires a greater degree of time and dedication than most of us have not to mention it's potentially quite costly in terms of ninja club fees.

Buying any form of physical protection could be quicker and more immediate.

You could always then sell it once youve reached ninja level proficiency.

OH your better off learning krav maga
I'd be careful about that. If we're talking about pre-shtf crime type of thing the majority of stabbing victims get jumped, they don't see it coming. Even if you do see it coming I've seen a lot of self defence classes that produce an overly controlled environment. They practice too slow against far too specific attacks with not enough true sparing that properly simulates combat. Pre-shtf your best defence against a knife attack is running or if cornered grabbing an object that gives your reach. Post-shtf when you can go round prepared for a fight the answer to a knife attacker is probably a fire arm or failing that a bigger weapon than a knife. In the sparing I've done a knife looses to a sword 99% of the time even if the guy with the knife is more experienced.

As for armour, in a post-shtf scenario you might like to consider doing things the old fashioned way, gambeson, potentially with mail, is perfectly adequate for dealing with a knife and with the mail it can deal with lower poundage powers and a lot of bladed weapons pretty well a long with softening the blows of lighter blunt objects like a bat or pipe to the point where they just really fucking hurt rather than shatter bones.

Most stab vests don't protect the groin or throat and none of them protect the upper thighs leaving most of your largest arteries vulnerable. Avoiding situations where you're likely to get stabbed is a good start, it doesn't make any difference how much training you have or how hard you are if you're facing a group. Situational awareness is your best body armour.

Most stab vests don't protect the groin or throat and none of them protect the upper thighs leaving most of your largest arteries vulnerable. Avoiding situations where you're likely to get stabbed is a good start, it doesn't make any difference how much training you have or how hard you are if you're facing a group. Situational awareness is your best body armour.
The necks defiantly important but I'd be more worried about he hands and wrists if you aren't armed.

Edit, or armed with a similar sized weapon.

Well said ystranc, if your up against someone who is keen on ending your days a 'stab vest' won't really help.

Train all you want, Karate, Aikido or the IDF system...unless your prepared to to employ what you have learned then your dead.

A think we could go round and round as to which form of protection would be the best it may just be a personal preference will be the correct answer.

A think we can all agree that when we want something we must have one or two or Maby 3 :D sometimes 4 if the wife or husband agrees ;)

@Offgrid hero
A would check out YouTube for some reviews mate. Mite find a video with demos. If you haven’t already :thumbsup:

I don't know about that, you could bleed out from a stab wound on the thigh or groin in seconds.
But you're far, far more likely to get hit in your hands or wrists in a fight where you see your attacker coming.

I will have a look for reviews I think I'm low on data so videos are a no no for me at the minute,as for assailants I was thinking more of theiving drug addicts rather than trained assassin's,I thought that if it was worn under an overcoat and wasn't noticeable it could stop the first strike, but only thinking allowed.

If the attacker knows even a little about what they are doing and you don't see them coming then your dead.

I will have a look for reviews I think I'm low on data so videos are a no no for me at the minute,as for assailants I was thinking more of theiving drug addicts rather than trained assassin's,I thought that if it was worn under an overcoat and wasn't noticeable it could stop the first strike, but only thinking allowed.
The problem with body armour or weapons is that they effect your judgement, they can make you overconfident. Your best defence is to maintain your awareness of your surroundings.

I too like 38 have been wearing body dramas for many years and seen effects even while wearing them,so im not convinced on there use.

i think best course of action is to stop your attacker before he/she attacks.This is about training your awareness levels and level of unarmed combat.Get good at this and you wont need to worry(as much).

Over the years I studied some Aikido and Karate but was told years ago to mainly forget that and strike knees and throat...it works.

Back