• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Any advice on a cup

Forager

Slightly Addicted
I'm after a cup I can use outdoors as I already use a BCB portable gel stove and boiling cup. Any ideas on a good cup will be appreciated.

Any Advice on a Cup?

Yes - Always drink from the side with the rim nearest to you or you’ll get a wet shirt!🤣

Seriously though, when you say ‘boiling cup’ I take it you mean the steel mug that comes with the BCB set?
If you use BIB meals, you eat from the bag and brew with the boil water.
Why isn’t that sufficient?

Only if you are using the mug as a ‘kettle’ to decant from (to share the water) can I see the need for another cup.

If that’s the case just use another steel mug - The Dutch ‘44 stainless pattern or the Austrian stainless version of the Brit ‘58 mug are pretty robust and multi-function.

I’ve never seen the point of the insulted mugs - the heating up of a beverage and having it hang around is counter productive - the idea is to get it down yer neck quick to get the warmth inside you.

If you’ve got sensitive lips or kiddies using them a bit of gaffer tape on one edge of the rim helps.
And wrapping (gloved) hands round a hot mug is another heat transfer/morale advantage. Win-win! 🙂

That stated I do see the value and use the .3 litre ammo pouch flasks (double wall/insulated) primarily as a flask with a pre made beverage but which doubles as a drinking vessel. Win-win.
B3CEF956-79CF-4073-A4E9-18806F95668E.jpeg

CF0791FE-2FB1-414A-998E-A82E44D8A71D.png

I’m a massive fan of insulated mugs as they are also relatively spill proof. The small flasks sharpfinger mentions work as a sensible addition to the kit as they are double purposed. Work well enough as a mug to drink from or as a flask to keep a brew for later. I’ve had a few and think this is by far the best on the basis of its sipping lid which stops your brew going cold as you have a drink.

Aladdin Leakproof-Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Cup, Stainless Steel, Lava Black, 0.35L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083F74...abc_H1R2VKD1C9ADQ94G1QZJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If your worried about space use it as a pot to keep something in (such as brew kit).

Back