• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Any Dartmoor campers?

A stirring article Dick......good on the DNPA for standing their ground and championing respectful Wild Camping on Dartmoor.
Personally I think irresponsible and troublesome campers and hikers.....motorhome campers etc..... should be named and shamed and fined very heavily....all kit confiscated..........and made an example of.
All monies from fines should ideally go to the DPNA towards more wardens/rangers and the kit they need.

I doubt the Darwins......... no matter how wealthy will gain much favour.

Some people just can’t leave well alone. I notice they’ve only owned the land a little over ten years and this is at least the second time they’ve been in conflict with hikers and the national parks authority over access issues.
While I respect their rights as owners I’m quite sure that they would have made aware of the national park policy and bylaws when they bought the estate.

just called DMNP spoke to a very nice lady who told me they are meeting up with the land owners next week to try and sort out wild camping access to the moor minus the bit of land that stuck up knob owns ;) :thumbsup: she advised i kept an eye on their web site for updates

I have never been one to protest, glue myself to a lesbian or climb a bridge with Greta Thunberg, but I if wish to camp within the original permitted area on my beloved Dartmoor then I bloody well will! No jumped up blow in will tell me any different.

It is totally unenforceable, so if Mr whatever his name is, wants to confront me up on the high Moor, my territory……..Then good f*****g luck with that chap.

I am born and bred Devon, worked on Dartmoor most of my working life and live in the National Park, Mr Jumped up Pr**k can go and **** himself, the ******* #*#£*@ . 🤷👍

And breath!

I have never been one to protest, glue myself to a lesbian or climb a bridge with Greta Thunberg, but I if wish to camp within the original permitted area on my beloved Dartmoor then I bloody well will! No jumped up blow in will tell me any different.

It is totally unenforceable, so if Mr whatever his name is, wants to confront me up on the high Moor, my territory……..Then good f*****g luck with that chap.

I am born and bred Devon, worked on Dartmoor most of my working life and live in the National Park, Mr Jumped up Pr**k can go and **** himself, the ******* #*#£*@ . 🤷👍

And breath!

@Big Red

I can feel your energy and frustration reading your post Mike......I take it you are NOT in favour?..........just guessing :D

You are right.......he is a total **** ..................now.......about these Lesbians.......where can I buy the glue?:sneaky:

I’ve been reading things on other forums and have come to the conclusion that all those Neds that were wild camping and leaving piles of trash and human waste behind along with flattened tents and clumps of toilet paper fluttering in the breeze have done real bushcrafters and considerate wild campers a massive dis-service.
I have a lot of sympathy with some landowners who have suffered the costs of cleaning up after people who have mis used their land, whether or not the Darwall’s fall into this category is something I’m unsure of but if they want to attempt to keep people from wild camping or stealth camping then I’m quite sure it will cost them even more than the clean up costs.
The fact is that they cannot lawfully interfere with another persons tent or property within the tent, they can only use reasonable force to move a person on if that person fails to comply to their telling them to leave in a timely manner. They have no right to demand personal details and trespass is purely a civil matter unless they can prove that a camper has committed criminal damage or trespass against goods.
Even though they’ve won their court case I’m sure that if they try to enforce a no camping rule then they’re simply making a rod for their own backs.

just called DMNP spoke to a very nice lady who told me they are meeting up with the land owners next week to try and sort out wild camping access to the moor minus the bit of land that stuck up knob owns ;) :thumbsup: she advised i kept an eye on their web site for updates

The Duchy, who are the major land owner on Dartmoor, will, I reckon, give a blanket permission to wildcamp within the areas already agreed. I fail to see it is in their interest to do otherwise, the Duchy estate is now in the hands of Prince William, who I am sure, would not want to be the one responsible for making it awkward to camp.

Unfortunately there are those utter pond life, who just trash wherever they go. These people when/if caught should be forced to clear up their shite, tied naked to a remote tree, branded with a hot iron, and forced to listen to Robbie Williams twelve hours a day for a month.

But it is not just campers who leave rubbish, hikers are just as bad, but their rubbish is strewn over a larger area so not so obvious. Energy bar and gel wrappers etc, all along the more well known routes……Arseholes the lot of them!

Edit: OK, I may have gone a little too far! I think torture and human rights may be an issue with my proposed punishment, perhaps drop the Robbie Williams bit, it is particularly vindictive and heinous….…..But you know where I’m coming from.

Just to add, I have now spoken to three, very responsible, wild campers, and they have all said this ruling will make absolutely no difference to how they go about their pastime……..That’s four of us now!

I must admit, that since I have had the use of my own basecamp, which is on private land near open Moor, I have not wild camped on the Moor……But I will be this year! 👍👍😀

Respect....social conscience......community spirit.....etc seems to have diminished rapidly and will take some repairing.....if it is at all possible.....it will take decades :(
I guess those of us that care and enjoy the Moors and other open spaces need to step up and band together picking up as much rubbish as we can ourselves on our journeys and travels.
Since the pandemic and the increase and popularity of staycations....the problems have become even more troublesome and widespread.

Sad days.

Interesting, but he did NOT take DNPA to court to ban wildcamping. Poor reporting again.

One of the banners at a protest in Princetown, the fool can be seen hiding behind it. Well sorry chap, but if you were trespassing on my land with that attitude……I would not be kissing your ass!
5D0E313B-8594-4D35-ACD8-825B20A71044.jpeg

The banner right next to it was “RIGHT TO ROAM” a movement that is becoming increasingly hostile, a movement that I am becoming to dislike……Immensely!

One of the banners at a protest in Princetown, the fool can be seen hiding behind it. Well sorry chap, but if you were trespassing on my land with that attitude……I would not be kissing your ass! View attachment 117191

The banner right next to it was “RIGHT TO ROAM” a movement that is becoming increasingly hostile, a movement that I am becoming to dislike……Immensely!
It’s fundamentally political, their thinking runs along the lines of “why should someone else have something that I do not?” They simply do not accept the fact that the countryside is not natural and requires upkeep, to pay for that upkeep you either have to make money off that land or absorb the costs. I absorb the costs of my land but it’s only a few acres, I couldn’t afford to do that if it were a thousand acres. Most of the truly wealthy landowners are heavily subsidising the large shooting estates with personal wealth earned elsewhere…be it hedge fund ownership or pop star royalties. I’m beginning to think that this may all have been a bit of financial arm twisting in order to extract funds through the national parks authority.

Back