• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Any excuse...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
In the light of recent events I have been looking at ways to reduce the Pack weight I carry for a general days wandering in the Woods. I'm happy that my reasons for carrying the kit that I take with me. As I've mentioned before It's quite isolated here, sometimes even in Summer I don't see other people, and in the Winter it's the norm to be out all day and not meet anyone until almost home.
I was injured at home and managed to get to a land line 'phone. The same injury in the Woods in Winter at 76 years + and no 'phone contact could have had a different result. Anyway...who needs a reason to buy kit..😄

Virtually all my Bergans are surplus, foreign and British, and as I wasn't interested in the ultra light stuff made from Butterfly's wings and costing a fortune, I turned to run of the mill Civvy packs. Cut a long story short, I have quite a few items, clothing etc from the French Sporting Goods Supplier Decathlon. Like similar outfits, some of their kit if really very good and some a bit Micky Mouse.

I work on the personal theory that's it's better to carry a big bag with spare room, than a small bag stuffed full with kit dangling on the outside...
So, a 50 litre 'Day Bag' for me in this case. I bought an additional little pouch for odds and ends to attach to the Molle.

DSC00308.JPG

Here's the day kit, only food and a Puffa Jacket to add.

DSC00305.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

As can be seen in the first photo there is stacks of room left in the pack when loaded with the kit, and happily with 3 litres of water it's a fraction under 18 lbs, ( a day's food ration not included )

It's comfortable bimbling about indoors anyway, if the neighbours saw me they would have the 'ol Nutter locked up..why's he wearing a Bergan inside? 🤣
Amazingly I've lost 6 lbs + changing from the LK 35 which admittedly has a heavy, Hippo style waist belt and 2 additional waist belt pouches added, so I think it was worth the £40 + outlay.

I have the same rucksack and have no significant complaints with it at all ….. I too like some of the Decathalon gear , you can get fully kitted out in the one store ……..

I can usually spend a few quid when I go in there …… I have some of their trail running stuff and camping stuff too …… Oh and one of their inflatable kayak's ;)

I don't get to decathlon as often as I'd like but I like a lot of their gear. The fleece I generally wear out with the dug is their cheap shooting one, think it was 8 quid and do e me a couple years so far. At that price you don't mind if the odd spark gets to it. Only downside is the missus bought one too so there's the odd 'fashion faux pas'.

That pack at that price looks a steal....as long as the back length fits............

I have their Tribord Ozean 900 offshore sailing jacket...and for the money it is superb!

Note to self:
(Do I need another pack? Definitely not, keep hands deep in pockets..........)

I haven't had a chance to carry it loaded yet, Rob has one and is fairly happy with his pack. I bought it because it is lighter than my LK35 and seemed to fit the bill.
I've only got one other Civvy pack, all the others are Military or copies, but it won't get a hard life so it should last me ok.

I've been using my other Civvy pack, a 25 Lt Karrimor ( when they really were Karrimor...😃 ) for training, just around the house and garden, with a little weight in it to get used to load carrying again.
It's got a strange net type back panel which keeps the bag away from the body. It's about 25+ years old but is still pristine. I think the 'Breathable back panel' was copied by other makers in later years.
DSC00322.JPG

DSC00324.JPG

DSC00323.JPG

aahhhh noooo, I seem to have made a purchase on the Decathlon site!!! You're a bad man @saxonaxe lol
There's some bad buggers on here that will lead you astray Paul, absolute stinkers to a man.... and woman.... Brambles has tempted me with some 'shiny shiny' in the past too.

Oh, never go on youtube either, some more baddun's on there that will lead you astray.... the swine. :rolleyes:

Out of interest would any of you be willing to list everything you carry lets say for 1 days walk and another list for 3 nights under the stars. I wouldnt be static for more than 1 night personally but i think it would be interesting to see what you take out and about for either eventuality. I honestly at times believe i overthink it and take stuff just in case too often

Out of interest would any of you be willing to list everything you carry lets say for 1 days walk and another list for 3 nights under the stars. I wouldnt be static for more than 1 night personally but i think it would be interesting to see what you take out and about for either eventuality. I honestly at times believe i overthink it and take stuff just in case too often
What I take varies and there's an element of 'whim' about it and it will also depend on if I'm going to a known or unknown spot. If I've not been before I take a spare set of clothes, if its known and its a short walk I might not even bother with a spare T shirt (50/50). For 3 (or 5) days and I'm walking I'll try and reduce weight and have a couple spare sets of clothes so a bit more picky about what I take. There isn't a set list as such although there's some obvious basics.

Time of the year (season)....weather at the time.... or forecast.......duration......terrain.......will have a "standard load out" personal clothing/boots etc being mixed and matched to suit a persons individual needs (whims ) and conditions fairly often 🤔
Individual choices as far as kit goes (preferences) will more than likely vary a lot too......as will the weights and measures I guess?

Don't do any walking... hiking.... of any distance these days :(.......It all gets thrown in the back of the car......and thrown out again when we get to where we are going. :rofl: 🤭

Reactions: Bam
Mostly I travel by canoe......but like everyone else it seems, no two trips will be the same; are we travelling light or not, what the water and terrain is like, what /how are we cooking, what time of year and weather, and so forth?

Reactions: Bam
Lets try, 1 bag, camping light, 1 or 2 nights........?

Modified LK 35 rucksack (yahay!!) with foam mat former /kneel pad
FESCA outer or inner sleeping bag (If very cold or extended Snugpak Softie 15)
OneTigris Smokey Hut with aftermarket one man mozzie inner
German 1 man groundsheet
OR DD 3x3 tarp to make a tarptent with paddles
OR French F1 cotton pup tent
OR Polish lavvu.....getting not so light/compact now!!

Spare clothing
Wash kit with fluffy cotton cut sheet as a towel for drying (packs very small and light)
Dehydrated food
Water filter
Wildo Campabox
Army trangia OR Honeystove copy OR Firetrough OR........................
Decathlon Airmat
Firekit/Knives....possibly a small hatchet
Trekker Chair to use with canoe kneeling mat...can also make a sleep pad.

There's a few other possible bits an pieces, but it will as above all weigh about 15+ kg. Not the lightest I know, but will all go comfortably in then LK , I will be comfortable, and it's what I have. Like that the canoe can be carried on portages on my head, and all moved in one...........
If that isn't a necessity, then considerable more luxury ,different foods, utensils, tents will be carried?

" list everything you carry lets say for 1 days walk "

Here is the contents of my Bergan for a day wander. It's purely a personal load out tailored to me, the area in which I live and the unknown " What if's " that I know from experience can and do occur, and not always to other people... 😄
DSC00305.JPG

Top left.
Local map, Compass and whistle
Shemagh wrapped around wooley hat and thermal gloves.
First aid kit includes 2 x FFD's and burn kit + 2 x 8 hour Glow Sticks, Head torch, mirror etc
Tissues (Kitchen roll) Medi wipes, hand Gel

Row 2.
British Army Gel cooker in pouch
Spare Gel blocks in green pot.
Large Civvy poncho that covers me and Bergan
Down Puffa Jacket in Camo bag.

Row 3.
Folding ally wind shield in green bag.
Brew kit. Bush Craft shop stainless bottle (filled with water) and pot, Plastic Crusader mug, tea sugar, Cig lighter etc:
800 ml Spanish issue water bottle (Filled)
Green Foam sit mat
Large 45 gallon drum size heavy duty plastic bag.

Plus food for the day....Belt knife, fire steel, tinder etc in pockets

I always go equipped for an unplanned night out and possibly no human contact for ?? hours.

I found another lay out, I am Odin. This was for a 4 day walk in Norfolk on a National Trail, so unlike where I live now I was always more likely to see other people. So for instance, First Aid kit could afford to be smaller but clothing amount increased because I travelled by Public transport to and from Start and finish points.

Tent and sleeping bag and Royal Marines Artic Bergan.
P1040836.JPG

P1040838.JPG

Items not obvious in top row...
Zip lock bag with head torch / spare batteries.
Kitchen paper roll in Orange shopping bag
Wash/shaving kit in blue bag.
Clothing/general repair kit in small cammo bag

Row 2.
1 St Black bag clothing.. ( Coach journeys Sussex-London-Norfolk and return...)
2 nd Black bag food ( Rat pack meals)
end of row green bag, trail food.

Row 3.
Civvy poncho
Mora Forest Knife
Phone charger...Found out the connections didn't fit my phone but carried in case the kids checked my kit. Stopped them getting the vapours...🤣
Tarp next to the Para cord

bottom row,
Thermals, sleep kit in grey bag
Green bag, wooly hat gloves

DSCF4382.JPG

Rations for the black bag. 3 days will last me 4 days + easily with trail snacks as extras.
P1040875.JPG

Four days, 57 miles a good trip, but hours on the coach Sussex-London-Norfolk were a pain.

Back