• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Are there Flat Earthers amongst us?

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Today my wife and I have been fascinated to read about the recent revival in Flat Earth theories. According to a US government survey more than one in ten Americans have subscribed to Flat Earthism. Apparently that number rises to nearly one in three among millennials who receive much of their knowledge and worldview from internet sources.

We were astonished. We didn’t know Flat Earthism was a ‘thing’.

So I’m curious to know if those proportions are reflected in UK. If so, statistically speaking, some on this forum must believe the world is flat.

Anybody on here a Flat Earther? Just curious.

We read that one school of Flat Earthism states that Australia does not exist. According to this theory, anybody who claims to have visited Australia is either lying or has been taken to an alternative location such as South America where paid actors pretend to be Australian for the duration of their stay.

What disappoints us about this conspiracy theory is this: Why are other people getting paid to pretend to be Australians and not us? I’d be perfectly happy to take the Flat Earthers coin to pretend to be Australian, and would probably do a better job than some actor in Venezuela...

Or am I getting something confused here?

Flat Earthers. Hands up please.

Alan

I'm not a Flat Earther, far from it, but I have met quite a few who are. It's sometime difficult to decide if they are actually serious or just p*ssing up our back. One thing I have noticed is that it's the same people who also bang on about various other conspiracy theories.

I thought this might amuse:
Conspiracy.jpg

Last edited:
Today my wife and I have been fascinated to read about the recent revival in Flat Earth theories. According to a US government survey more than one in ten Americans have subscribed to Flat Earthism. Apparently that number rises to nearly one in three among millennials who receive much of their knowledge and worldview from internet sources.

We were astonished. We didn’t know Flat Earthism was a ‘thing’.

So I’m curious to know if those proportions are reflected in UK. If so, statistically speaking, some on this forum must believe the world is flat.

Anybody on here a Flat Earther? Just curious.

We read that one school of Flat Earthism states that Australia does not exist. According to this theory, anybody who claims to have visited Australia is either lying or has been taken to an alternative location such as South America where paid actors pretend to be Australian for the duration of their stay.

What disappoints us about this conspiracy theory is this: Why are other people getting paid to pretend to be Australians and not us? I’d be perfectly happy to take the Flat Earthers coin to pretend to be Australian, and would probably do a better job than some actor in Venezuela...

Or am I getting something confused here?

Flat Earthers. Hands up please.

Alan
I would happily pay you to pretend to be Australian and not be faked by some Venezuelan actor, I was laughing out loud at your post Alan

Last edited:
we’re just living on a big flat rock floating aboot space 🤔 horizon’s mean fook all then 🤷🏼‍♂️ Am not a betting man but if I was , I would bet that these flat earthers are still feeding from the tit and shiting yellow…..

@Gulfalan67 if Australia isn’t real then who made the bloody boomerang 🤷🏼‍♂️ And I don’t believe that an South American can play the didgeridoo, I believe your real mate , don’t you worry about it 😁

Of course the earth is flat.

I've a 6ft level that proves it.

My garden is level according to it.

It also proves my garden goes uphill in every direction, and downhill in every direction.

🤔🤨🙄

He was on a morning TV program with Philip Schofield and three flat earthers and he lost his rag with them when they tried to deny the curvature of the Earth. I’ve also never seen Philip Schofield annoyed until they started calling everyone who had ever been to space liars… the problem the program revealed is that the statistic of 6% of people in a poll believe the world could be flat...that is at least 6% of people in a developed nation that are too stupid to accept the evidence before their eyes and these people are allowed to vote and sit on a jury.

Last edited:
Ha ha! Good for Prof Brian.

Personally. I can imagine its hard to discuss logically with people do not accept evidence or see reason.

Flat Earthers place emphasis on empirical (individual) observation. I have wonder why, instead of spending so much money on endless conferences to demonstrate their so-called 'proofs' to each other, they don't band together and charter a jet liner for a couple of days.

They could then climb aboard and instruct the pilot to maintain a heading and fly in a straight line (in any direction). If they don't eventually return back to the place they departed from, they have proven their case.

Alan

Ha ha! Good for Prof Brian.

Personally. I can imagine its hard to discuss logically with people do not accept evidence or see reason.

Flat Earthers place emphasis on empirical (individual) observation. I have wonder why, instead of spending so much money on endless conferences to demonstrate their so-called 'proofs' to each other, they don't band together and charter a jet liner for a couple of days.

They could then climb aboard and instruct the pilot to maintain a heading and fly in a straight line (in any direction). If they don't eventually return back to the place they departed from, they have proven their case.

Alan
Since they even dispute the veracity of gravity I’m not sure they’d trust a magnetic compass.. conspiracy theorists are generally operating from an initial position of denial.
..as an aside there was a TV pilot episode on about a group of people that fell into a sink hole and ended up in another land…Any Hollow Earthers out there? 🤦‍♂️

Since they even dispute the veracity of gravity I’m not sure they’d trust a magnetic compass.. conspiracy theorists are generally operating from an initial position of denial.
..as an aside there was a TV pilot episode on about a group of people that fell into a sink hole and ended up in another land…Any Hollow Earthers out there? 🤦‍♂️

Hollow Earth. It that seriously also a 'thing'?

If so, is that thesis consistent or inconsistent with the Flat Earth? If the former, then perhaps advocates find common ground in some kind of donut or polo mint shape.

Donut Earth. I wonder what Brian's science says about that?

Alan

If so, is that thesis consistent or inconsistent with the Flat Earth? If the former, then perhaps advocates find common ground in some kind of donut or polo mint shape.

Alan
Flat earthers think hollow earthers are nutters, or so I believe.
Bit pot and kettle if you want my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I want to be clear, I don’t believe the world is either hollow or flat… I’m just posting this to prove it’s a “thing”

Mike, thanks for the illuminating references.

My favourite is this one:

Cohen, Daniel. "Is the earth flat or hollow?" Science digest, v. 72, Nov. 1972: 62-66.

By one interpretation of this title, the author, Mr Cohen, is evaluating evidence for whether the earth is flat or hollow, without positing any other possible alternative. Although of course I haven't sighted the actual article, I note that in published form it was only four pages long. Assuming a page for the usual speculative map/diagram that Flat Earthers always produce, that leaves three pages for his evidence that the world is either flat or hollow. Say a page and a half each to present cumulative data and evidence for each case. While brevity is always refreshing in scientific writing, one has to wonder whether Mr Cohen was able to conclusively resolve the dilemma he poses in his paper's title?

Alan

Last edited:
I've always wondered what happens to the sea in these scenerios. If the world is flat wouldn't it really need to be bowl shaped or have a rim to stop the water sloshing off. ? Or if the world is hollow what stops water running down from "our" world into the whopping great hole below us?
Almost a pity really as I quite like the idea of elephants and turtles...

Alan

The world is full of Doughnuts.

Back