• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Are there Flat Earthers amongst us?

I've always wondered what happens to the sea in these scenerios. If the world is flat wouldn't it really need to be bowl shaped or have a rim to stop the water sloshing off. ? Or if the world is hollow what stops water running down from "our" world into the whopping great hole below us?
Almost a pity really as I quite like the idea of elephants and turtles...

Hello Baytree

You raise good points, but I'm afraid you may be getting ahead of the science...

I distinctly recall watching a Flat Earther exposition on The YouTube, in which it was demonstrated that gravity was actually monumental cover-up led by NASA in cahoots with the Deep State. So your thesis about water sloshing around the Earth's surface and draining down the plughole doesn't tally with the evidence.

Yes, the old bowl shaped Earth theory. Its a good one, but soo 2021!

But you might be onto something with the elephants and turtles angle... Let me consult the internet

Alan .

40334481-4DD6-474B-B656-AD892CA84EF0.jpeg

Ah the science , always the sticking point. I haven't had the inclination to read flat earthers take on the science ( gave up reading fairy tales when my daughter grew up) so I'm a little bit at a loss as to exactly what the science is. Is the world still spinning and does that mean gravity is different at the rim than it is at the hub , centrifugal forces and all that ?. Does the sea trickle down off the rim and reappear nearer the hub? If only I'd paid more attention at school...

I've always wondered what happens to the sea in these scenerios. If the world is flat wouldn't it really need to be bowl shaped or have a rim to stop the water sloshing off. ? Or if the world is hollow what stops water running down from "our" world into the whopping great hole below us?
Oh please do try to keep up.
The South Pole is actually a ring of ice around the edge that holds the water in. And anyone that claims to have circumnavigated the earth Pole to Pole and back to Pole is just a big fibber.
All the worlds guvmints get together to stop anyone getting to the wall to keep the pretend Pole thing going.

I'll try my hardest to keep up but it's sooooo confusing. I mean trying to look on tinterweb and I find theories about super intelligent space aliens coming here looking for intelligent life ......

My late friend, who was a confirmed flat-earther, explained it all in great detail. Just because we see the world as round, measure it that way and all the maths associated with navigation says so, doesn't mean it is - it's our perception that is faulty. Everything is waves, he assured us, and it is all a matter of nodes and anti-nodes. We can only perceive the nodes leaving us blind to the anti-nodes. At this point I walked away from the campfire, to let him finish his expanation to a silent and incredulous audience. :)

My late friend, who was a confirmed flat-earther, explained it all in great detail. Just because we see the world as round, measure it that way and all the maths associated with navigation says so, doesn't mean it is - it's our perception that is faulty. Everything is waves, he assured us, and it is all a matter of nodes and anti-nodes. We can only perceive the nodes leaving us blind to the anti-nodes. At this point I walked away from the campfire, to let him finish his expanation to a silent and incredulous audience. :)
Paul i think your old mate got to the crux of the matter. If our perceptions are at fault and evidence cannot be trusted, then there is no basis for believing anything. The Flat Earther Community ( if there is a coherent community who believe one thing), can have no more evidence for their case than the Donut Earthers or the Sphere Earthers.

Nobody can prove anything. Its just a question of Faith, personal conviction. And here's the irony of the situation. We give the poor old Flat Earthers a hard time and regard them as bonkers. Yet we accept and sympathise with people from major religions who believe equally improbable things.

Would you accept a Flat Earther as PM of UK? Probably not. But there has been at least one with strong religious convictions and whose decisions were guided by a 'higher power'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. The ultimate question is 'What is reality?' and even 'What is truth?'. My take on this is that reality is what we agree upon. It's a lampost - deny the existence of a lampost and you are likely to walk into it head first. Truth is spoken, it is the exact time, place, form, event and significance. However, there are things in quantum physics and other branches of science that are not what we agree upon, or even know about - they are just too weird, and outside our everyday experience. However that doesn't mean they don't exist and are not true. They just don't directly affect our everyday life - as far as we know. My late friend used to use unfamiliar technical term to baffle his audience, node and anti-node for example, most people don't know what they are - I do. So he would try to discombobulate his audience. That was when I went to bed. :)

I was a surveyor back in 2012/2013, and I can prove the earth is indeed round, a globe, sphere, slightly ellipitical lump of rock floating in a very real, immeasurable universe, with no paid actors pulling at the corners to make it expand!😋

Theodolites​

Theodolites are precisions instruments that measure angles. Using these measured angle and trigonometry, locations and elevations can be determined to a very high level of
accuracy. Theodolites are an important part of surveying used to map out the geographic and political boundaries. We have complete confidence in their accuracy because of the 200 years of successful usage.

See here for the background and history of theodolites: NOAA 200th: Collections: Theodolites

Theodolites are the bane of flat earthers as the measurements from Theodolites directly measure the curvature of the earth totally discrediting the idea of a flat earth.
Flat earthers do not care about discovering truth but instead only care to support their bias so they must not allow measurements from theodolites.

If I'm wrong and the earth is flat, may all flat earthers take a step off the edge 😉

I was a surveyor back in 2012/2013, and I can prove the earth is indeed round, a globe, sphere, slightly ellipitical lump of rock floating in a very real, immeasurable universe, with no paid actors pulling at the corners to make it expand!😋

Theodolites​

Theodolites are precisions instruments that measure angles. Using these measured angle and trigonometry, locations and elevations can be determined to a very high level of
accuracy. Theodolites are an important part of surveying used to map out the geographic and political boundaries. We have complete confidence in their accuracy because of the 200 years of successful usage.

See here for the background and history of theodolites: NOAA 200th: Collections: Theodolites

Theodolites are the bane of flat earthers as the measurements from Theodolites directly measure the curvature of the earth totally discrediting the idea of a flat earth.
Flat earthers do not care about discovering truth but instead only care to support their bias so they must not allow measurements from theodolites.

If I'm wrong and the earth is flat, may all flat earthers take a step off the edge 😉
Yes, and take any three places on the Earth, let's say London, New York and Cape Town draw straight lines between them on the map to make a triangle. As we all know the three angles of a triangle add up to 180. Now take the compass headings of an aircraft flying that route by the shortest distance, do the maths on them and they will add up to more than 180. This can only happen if the triangle is not on a flat surface.

The whole Terry Pratchett Discworld thing is probably my favourite bit of fantasy fiction. I loved his sense of humour and also his sense of humanity… Top man who is sorely missed.

I'll try my hardest to keep up but it's sooooo confusing. I mean trying to look on tinterweb and I find theories about super intelligent space aliens coming here looking for intelligent life ......
…they’ll be disappointed then.

The element of all conspiracy theorists I find amusing is the notion that the various Government’s of the world are sophisticated enough to to maintain an elaborate hoax (in this case a perimeter wall
around the flat oceans; actors pretending to be from made up continents; genetically created animals in zoos that have been brought from said made up continents etc but the same governments are generally held in utter contempt for not being able to organise an alcohol based party in a brewery!

Is the world flat?.......of course it is, as everyone in East Anglia knows!!!!

The whole Terry Pratchett Discworld thing is probably my favourite bit of fantasy fiction. I loved his sense of humour and also his sense of humanity… Top man who is sorely missed.

I keep going back and reading the whole series again and always find something new to laugh out loud about. My mum thought the Earth was flat and when I asked her why she thought they made globes she said it was just because it's more convenient to spin it round to find a place. :D

I keep going back and reading the whole series again and always find something new to laugh out loud about. My mum thought the Earth was flat and when I asked her why she thought they made globes she said it was just because it's more convenient to spin it round to find a place. :D
😳 I’m guessing our mums would have got on well in their own little world ( be it flat or round)

Last edited:
Back