• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Are We At Risk From A Global Pandemic?

It's my belief that because of rapid global transport we are more at risk from a global pandemic then we have ever been. If a disease spread far enough and fast enough the WHO would never be able to catch up to treat its victims. It could not hope to securely quarantine effected areas or countries before it spread.

Very True Ystranc - If a Biological agent was intentionally released in a major Airport it could spread to the corners of the Globe well within 24 hours.

It's my belief that because of rapid global transport we are more at risk from a global pandemic then we have ever been. If a disease spread far enough and fast enough the WHO would never be able to catch up to treat its victims. It could not hope to securely quarantine effected areas or countries before it spread.
Agreed, & with this news of Global Warming bringing more diseases & viruses this is beginning to look like the most possible near future shtf situation. We not only have the spread of mossies moving further as the globe heats up, but now we hear the melting ice can release unknown diseases & viruses. In that sort of situation I see no alternative but to leave populated areas. We may also have to face people coming into our area. They would have to be driven away or killed, if killed, then we have the problem of having to get close enough to dispose of the body. If we can burn it, then this may not be such a problem.
Keith.

I read a report that burning a body in an emergency situation would not be feasible as it takes too much wood to dispose of a body, mass burial is the approved remedy in such an event.

If you have ever seen the size in a funeral pyre in India you'd be forced to agree, it would take in the region of 2 months dried firewood to cremate an adult body.
I'll reserve that rite for someone that I love or care about.

if its a pandemic I don't think we'll have that luxury, given the amount of bodies that will accumulate mass burial plague pits are the only answer.
graves should be 1.5 metres deep, 5-60 bodies should be buried 250metres/750 feet distance from any water source, more than 60 bodies need to be 350 metres or 1000ft from any water source.
"management of dead bodies after disasters: a field manual for first responders".

I think I will paint a big sign & hang it on our front gate, QUARANTINED KEEP OUT.
Keith.

But what's the best way to deal with it? NBC suits? Isolation? Vaccination? How the heck could any of us expect to complete a mass burial without heavy plant machinery or protective clothing?

But what's the best way to deal with it? NBC suits? Isolation? Vaccination? How the heck could any of us expect to complete a mass burial without heavy plant machinery or protective clothing?
That was my point. We, meaning our family can isolate ourselves, & providing none of the family living off the property bring the infection with them, that would be okay, BUT, what happens if you get visitors & they won't go away? It MAY leave you with little choice. You obviously would not let them into your home, but neither could you go outside whilst they are present!
Keith.

isolation would be the thing and I don't see any family visitors coming here, that's in laws by the way, my family are deceased apart from a couple of obscure cousins who I have no contact with.

But what about uninvited visitors? I get enough trespassers even during "rule of law" you can't just let them move in and start using up/infecting your resources without confronting them and you can't confront them without breaking quarantine.

I know everyone that lives around here, maybe not by name but I know where most live.
strangers stand out a mile, usually by the way they behave. this is not a tourist area.

there are plenty of tourists around Princetown, Postbridge, Dartmeet, etc.
where I am is farming country not touristy. any we do see are usually lost!:lol:

Back