• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Armed forces day….

🤣 That was probably about right 38!

That phot was taken mid 70s.
Glamrock was the popular music of the time, punk hadn’t yet surfaced.
There we’re no Walkmans, iPods, mobile phones or even vcrs.
We had transistor radios, cassette players about the size of a shoe box and if Felix wasn’t blocking the TV signal Top Of The Pops!

Interestingly the different genres of personal music you heard depended on which part of the U.K. the squaddy playing it came from. In my experience-
The South, South West; South Midlands seemed to be ‘Northern‘ soul;
London; the South East and strangely, Scousers, seemed to favour soul, Motown and funk;
The North/North East was rock/prog rock (though some from Yorkshire were into rock & roll and American country?!🤔)
Those from Lancashire (The QLRs) didn’t understand music at all but made vain attempts to appear that they did - just like that ‘band’ Oasis.

@Sharpfinger
914B94F1-2B1F-45F0-B243-DB88B6EB144A.jpeg

My best mate is ex 59 , still lives in Barnstable…. Lloyd James 👍
👍🏻
Some years after I left I kept bumping into lads who had been in 59 and who I’d known whilst serving in Germany and on various courses in U.K. - Field Section Commanders; Fld Sergeants; EPC: German language etc.

The weirdest ‘reunion‘ was when, as a surveillance operator I was involved in a training exercise with a fire arms operations unit. I was playing the part of a ‘stooge’ with a concealed fire arm about to be taken out by ex 59‘s team.
I was facing the large plate glass window of a jewellers shop watching the reflections behind me. As the plain clothed FOU ‘surreptitiously’ approached me I recognised the lead member.
We hadn‘t seen each other since a section commander’s course at Chatham more than 10 years previously.
As he was about to lay hands on me I turned about and said, “Hello Brian, how are you?”
He was so taken aback it gave me the moment I needed to be on my toes!🤣

It later transpired that for 5 years we had been on the same Force in neighbouring Sub-divisions and despite each of those sub-divisions having frequently given each mutual aid during knocks and riots we’d never met!
Small world or what?

Just a thought, but -

Did any of you Sappers notice that in clubs/discos etc the other Arms also struggled to dance as well as us?

Whenever they tried it was a sort of cross between an uncoordinated march and a Thunderbird puppet!🤣

Even their casual head nodding left a lot to be desired. 😄

Back