• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Armex back draft fit to umrex 850 airmagnum

Teddy

Slightly Talkative
Does the 850 air magnum need a adapter for the armex back draft?
Couldn't find any specs on the barrel thread. I'm ready to order one but just in case I'd rather seek profetional help. :)

Ta,
Ted.

Does the 850 air magnum need a adapter for the armex back draft?
Couldn't find any specs on the barrel thread. I'm ready to order one but just in case I'd rather seek profetional help. :)

Ta,
Ted.

Welcome aboard. No need to bump... we're just all watching Marvel Avengers Assemble... :p

I had an 850 a while back, and the barrel was not screw-cut. The Umarex silencer for it fits on with a couple of grub screws.

Can't remember what the outside diameter of the barrel was -- a quick Google will probably tell you -- but if the Armex silencer takes a 1/2" UNF thread, then you can find adapters for the barrel diameter quite easily on EBay or Amazon. I fitted an Armex adapter to my 16mm OD HW85 barrel, and it's as solid as a very solid thing.

BTW, are you aware that CO2 guns drop a significant amount of power in cold weather? Just FYI.

Ah sorry, I'm more of a batman kinda guy. :)
Yup seen it's a half inch unf female, not sure what the barrel girth was or if it was threaded at all, I be been looking but with no avail unfortunately. I have a sneaky suspicion it's 15mm or something? But I don't want to just go off and buy one and be wrong just to have my wife on my back like a badly treated sun burn.

Thanks for the input though much appreciated. And yup I understand the pros and cons, I have a bsa ultra se but carrying around a tank is a bit too much to put it nicely.

Ah sorry, I'm more of a batman kinda guy. :)
Yup seen it's a half inch unf female, not sure what the barrel girth was or if it was threaded at all, I be been looking but with no avail unfortunately. I have a sneaky suspicion it's 15mm or something? But I don't want to just go off and buy one and be wrong just to have my wife on my back like a badly treated sun burn.

Thanks for the input though much appreciated. And yup I understand the pros and cons, I have a bsa ultra se but carrying around a tank is a bit too much to put it nicely.

They're very accurate rifles, so if you check zero before each session, there shouldn't be an issue.

I used the supplied Umarex silencer with mine, and it was pretty much silent. You could always fit an aftermarket silencer later if you wanted to, but the muzzle blast isn't huge to start with. Have you seen the deals available on the full kit, including silencer?

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...ex-850-22-air-magnum-pro-kit-co2-air-rifle/24

Indeed, been balls deep in the reviews. Like to have a knowledge on what ever I want to invest in.
Exactly the place I'm buying from. They have a decent promotion on that comes with a bag and an extra 88g co2 bottle.

As for the silencer it's purely for aesthetics. The one that comes fitted is good but I wanted the back draft to make the barrel look shorter.
Apparently the back draft doesn't do much to moderate the noise but again it's not about that, the creature would be hitting the ground before he processes the sound in it's wee brain. ;) I'm a Mr, never miss.

Last edited:
From what I've read, the Backdraft jobbie is huge -- 9" overall, so I suspect that it will end up making the barrel longer if anything! It's heavy, too.

The Umarex jobbie slides onto the first couple of inches of the barrel, and the mod cylinder is only 5" or so long, if memory serves, so it doesn't add too much length to the rifle. You might find that it's all you need, and results in a more compact rifle than fitting a Backdraft.

From what I've read, the Backdraft jobbie is huge -- 9" overall, so I suspect that it will end up making the barrel longer if anything! It's heavy, too.

The Umarex jobbie slides onto the first couple of inches of the barrel, and the mod cylinder is only 5" or so long, if memory serves, so it doesn't add too much length to the rifle. You might find that it's all you need, and results in a more compact rifle than fitting a Backdraft.

The armex back draft can be fitted in reverse to give a compact look to it. Seems pretty neat.

Cool. It's certainly an accurate rifle -- you can expect one-hole groups off the bench at the range he's shooting at. You can also buy the 2X 12g removable cylinder separately, because it fits into the screw-mount for the 88g capsule.

Don't know if it's an option but for about half of what you'll spend on the 850 and bits, you could send your ultra to Airtech(or a tuner of your choice) and have a Parker Hale mod fitted with the extended cylinder and full reg and stage 2 tuneup. Quite easily double the useable shot count
Just saying.

Don't know if it's an option but for about half of what you'll spend on the 850 and bits, you could send your ultra to Airtech(or a tuner of your choice) and have a Parker Hale mod fitted with the extended cylinder and full reg and stage 2 tuneup. Quite easily double the useable shot count
Just saying.

You're quite right but why have one rifle when you can have two!

Cool. It's certainly an accurate rifle -- you can expect one-hole groups off the bench at the range he's shooting at. You can also buy the 2X 12g removable cylinder separately, because it fits into the screw-mount for the 88g capsule.

Wow that seems pretty accurate, cheers for the insight lads. Much appreciated.

You're quite right but why have one rifle when you can have two!

Wow that seems pretty accurate, cheers for the insight lads. Much appreciated.

I had one in 22 nice rifle but I got rid due to weather related power surges even when shooting it between filling magazines I couldn't get mine to keep zero always 1" to 2" out and when you changed the big gas bulb you would have thought the rifle had never been zeroed
it was not the rifles fault but the gas and heat hot cold even in summer
Sorry to pi.. on your parade but if you go ahead any way good luck
I may have a few of the 22 magazines knocking around you would be most welcome to them

P's forgot to tell you when I sold mine I had a real job on my hands in fact I could not sell it as I would have lost at least half my money and it being only a month old at that usally you lose 1/3Rd so I exchanged / traded it in for a AA S200 which I still have if I was you I would buy a Day Tripper Bottel from Best Fitting weighs hardly any thing and no need to take to the shop to fill it you decanter from you existing dive bottel realy cool being your bsa ultra shoots about 30 shots I would say you would get a couple if fills from it so filled at home before using you would get 90 or more shots
Well that's my advice I would say there will be other guys along soon but In the end it's your money it's up to you

Last edited:
I found this lite reading from pymid air :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Warm weather means hotter velocities for CO2 guns!
Posted on May 25, 2005 by B.B. Pelletier ↓ 14 Comments

By B.B. Pelletier

Shooters in Florida, the Southwest and Hawaii don’t worry much about cold weather, but the rest of us do because the winter puts an end to outdoor shooting with CO2 guns. Now that summer is back in almost every corner of the US, all of us can head outside again for loads of powerful CO2 shooting!

Many of you may already know that warm ambient temperatures can increase velocity in a CO2 gun. How? Because CO2 evaporates at higher pressures as the air temperature increases. As the air temperature increases, CO2 is warmed and more pressure is achieved inside the CO2 container. And, as you know, higher pressure means more power!

Did you know that barrel length also increases velocity? Let’s take a look at a CO2 pistol that demonstrates this perfectly.

How to get an extra 110 f.p.s. from a pistol
The velocity for a .177 TAU 7 Match pistol is 450 f.p.s. The same gun with an extra two inches of barrel – the TAU 7 Silhouette – gets 560 f.p.s. It’s amazing that just adding length to this barrel – with no other functional changes in the gun – will make a pellet go 110 f.p.s. faster!

A longer barrel means compressed gas has more time to accelerate a projectile because the released gas is escaping in an enclosed environment – between its source and the pellet. Because it is captive, the gas is channeled into moving the pellet forward. Once a pellet leaves the barrel, it immediately starts to slow down. Since the gas is pushing the pellet for a longer period of time (an extra two inches, in the case of our TAU pistol), it is giving it that much more speed. So, you can choose between higher gas pressure (when temperatures are warmer) or a longer barrel to increase velocity in your CO2 gun. What if you combined these two? You’d extract the maximum velocity from your gun!

Another trick to get the most velocity from your CO2 gun
To get even more velocity from your CO2 guns, simply pause for a longer time between shots – at least 30 seconds is good in cooler weather. In the hot summer with the sun shining, a pause of 10-15 seconds is all it takes. The gun cools down with the shot because CO2 acts as a coolant. By allowing it to warm up again, you’ll gain extra power.

Warm weather safety for CO2 guns
There is a limit to how hot a CO2 gun or container should get! If you leave a gas gun or container in a closed car on a summer day, it can explode! At the very least, it will blow the seals out of the gun; at the worst, it could remove your windshield or even injure somebody. CO2 containers not enclosed in the gun could also explode. Be very attentive whenever a gas gun is exposed to temperatures above 80 degrees F. If that means exhausting the gas from the gun or the container, then do it. That’s better than an accident

Back