• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Armex & man Kung pistol crossbows review

lee

Slightly Obsessed
pistol crossbows review.

Armex brown grips man Kung black and gold.

The armex seems a little better made than the man Kung however the man Kung Seems slightly more powerfull. The armex comes with a 20mm top rail and the ability to add a bottom rail by way of two threaded holes in the metal frame however you have to cut and drill your rail as there is no standard fit rails out there. The man Kung has a 11mm top rail.

Both pistol are rated either 50 or 80lb depending on model versions and websites differing specifications.

Both have poor quality open sights that needed tightening and tweeting however I was able to zero in to a few inch groups at 10 or so meters the rear open sight on the man Kung is plastic and broke after a few days use so I fitted a laser on there, for the armex I fitted a red dot scope and torch on the bottom added rail.

To get a little more power from both pistols twist the string 2 to 4 times when fitting.

Bolts: the metal fly better but break easyier. The 3 inch bolts are better for close range however you have to cut of the middle flight to use them in these pistols.

To zero the laser and scope in I placed a laser pointer on the rail ;)

These pistol crossbows are good fun however these are not toys and a bolt would easily cause seriouse injury or death so take care.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have the Armex self cocking type, 80lb pull, the plastic bolts it comes with aren't much cop, I bought some better quality ones and they work well, fitted it with a red dot sight, it goes through a thick insulation board and the only thing stopping it going right through are the flights.

I was impressed with the power as you say the only thing that stops the bolts is the flights getting stuck, all the bolts go straight through a new fence panel under 5 meters (and I mean straight through and keep going) so a solid back stop is a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next up for review in this section of prepping will be a full size 200 lb crossbow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 100lb and 150lb one, I always figured anything over the normal 175lb one was overkill.

What are the dinky little red darts?

Like Lonewolf, I have the Armex 80lb self-cocking bow.

What are the dinky little red darts?

Like Lonewolf, I have the Armex 80lb self-cocking bow.

3 inch bolts for all crossbow use they have 3 flights and the middle one has to be removed as the grove in the pistol crossbows rail is not deep enough to to except the rlight they will load and fire with the middle flight not removed but will throw of course dramaticly the flight can be removed easy with a thin sharp bladed knife or Stanley knife is better the 3 inch bolts are worth a they they are on eBay.

3inch? i'm sorry but the 80lb self cocking pistol crossbow comes with 6.5inch bolts, I really don't understand why you are using 3 inch ones.

The 3 inch bolts are for use with all crossbows, being light and shorter they work well in the low power 50-80 lb pistol bows.

(These bows are rated between 50-80 lbs)

probably more designed for the 50lb ones I would have thought, like I said my 80lb came with 6.5 inch bolts, but what the heck you do it the way you want, its a free world(at the moment!):p

Yeh, can't imagine they'd be accurate at all, with two fins.

Probably easy enough to remove the tip of a 6" bolt, cut it with a Dremel and refit?

Not sure why you'd want to, though...

Crossbow not my thing but I have in the cupboard somewhere a Barnett self cocking crossbow I hate the thing ! Its gathering dust !

Pistol crossbows no good at all I would not waste my money
the 80lb has more pull than a lot of longbows, it isn't a toy, in an emergency it will take down birds, squirrels and rabbits for the pot, I would point out this is only for AFTER TSHTF, bow hunting of any kind is illegal at the present time in this country.

Yeah the Barnett c/bow I've had it over 20 yrs you break it like an air rifle and it draws the string back and locks it into place

[QUOTthlf, post: 32829, member: 8623"]the 80lb has more pull than a lot of longbows, it isn't a toy, in an emergency it will take down birds, squirrels and rabbits for the pot, I would point out this is only for AFTER TSHTF, bow hunting of any kind is illegal at the present time in this country.[/QUOTE]
When is anything legal here ??? Personally I find this country pathetic for anything !

Yeah the Barnett c/bow I've had it over 20 yrs you break it like an air rifle and it draws the string back and locks it into place
never seen one like that before, I've got a Barnett with the old wooden stock but you have to recock it by hand.

[QUOTthlf, post: 32829, member: 8623"]the 80lb has more pull than a lot of longbows, it isn't a toy, in an emergency it will take down birds, squirrels and rabbits for the pot, I would point out this is only for AFTER TSHTF, bow hunting of any kind is illegal at the present time in this country.
When is anything legal here ??? Personally I find this country pathetic for anything ![/QUOTE]
yes it is crazy when you think this country was defended by the longbow=Agincourt etc., and at one time it was mandatory to practise every sunday with a bow.

Back