• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Armex & man Kung pistol crossbows review

Some bow laws date back centurys.
If you want to bow hunt you can pop over the channel to France, however you need to take a short competence course.

These little crossbows have Gotta a be a good option for close combat ;)

How many bolts for an 80 lb hand bow do you consider enough?

For what purpose? The problem I still see with these smaller cheaper units are that the prod moves even once locked down - each movement will make the bolts travel less controlled.

I'm sure they look bad ass however.

an 80lb pistol crossbow isn't a toy, it will take down a rabbit, a squirrel or a pigeon no trouble.
80lb pull is more than a lot of full length bows.

an 80lb pistol crossbow isn't a toy, it will take down a rabbit, a squirrel or a pigeon no trouble.
80lb pull is more than a lot of full length bows.

Indeed 80 lbs is a lot of energy . ENERGY. So if you re-read my post hopefully you appreciate the point , rather than focus upon the energy its produces can it consistently put the bolt where its supposed to go ( accuracy ) or , as i have mentioned , the Prod moved in the cradle so that the accuracy is now compromised.

The animals youve mentioned are all small targets - a bow regardless of the energy needs to be well made enough to consistently place the shots ( shot after shot ) into a small area - I'd suggest trying to hit a 4 pint milk jug at 10 m as a fair test - can the build quality of the bow not only produce 80lbs of energy but can it put it exactly where one is aiming - consistently.

Repeat missing a target does not put food on the table.

i have done this test with my own one- many times- and the answer to your question is yes it can.

I usually get up dates on this sort of thing, haven't had one so I think your answer is still the 80lb self cocker.
I bought an extra one for the wife but she hasn't used it because of her arthritis so I may have one to sell.

I usually get up dates on this sort of thing, haven't had one so I think your answer is still the 80lb self cocker.
I bought an extra one for the wife but she hasn't used it because of her arthritis so I may have one to sell.
I may well be interested what sort of money are we talking? What about a full sized crossbow any recommendations for a model plus a good shop to buy from?...

depends what you want to pay, I can sell you the 80lb pistol crossbow, brand new still in the box- for what I paid for it £30. or I might be able to sell you a shop soiled 150lb one for £50 which again is what I paid for it.

I was thinking for taking small game.
I've got a friend who knows a lot more about bows than I do, and he told me the 80lb self cocking pistol crossbow is ideal for small game, he has taken pigeons with one.

Caveat; The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 section 11.1b expressly forbids bow/crossbow hunting for all quarry in the UK. The opinion "It's only illegal if you get caught" is not shared by the owners or current moderators of this forum and these comments are allowed only allowed to remain to provide context as part of a larger debate.

Exactly 👍🏻

However
I’ve always wondered why in the uk is bow hunting banned ? I can’t see it being anymore dangerous than a rifle….

Forget that last question lol .. after a goooooogly search the reason is very simple, so people don’t cause unnecessary harm to animals…

So why can’t we have the same approach to bow hunting as we do with rifle hunting… as my opinion would be , the same harm can happen with a firearm as with a bow ….however my knowledge and understanding is rather short on this subject

The time it takes to develop the skills to be accurate with a firearm are considerably less than to learn how to use a bow with crossbows sitting somewhere in between, it’s one of the reasons many medieval armies chose to use crossbows rather than longbows which whilst technically superior took considerably longer to master.

Back