• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Armex & man Kung pistol crossbows review

I would cheerfully see crossbows subject to the same laws and controls as other firearms including needing a legitimate reason to buy one.

I would cheerfully see crossbows subject to the same laws and controls as other firearms including needing a legitimate reason to buy one.

I would agree
Don’t own one and never will , just my choice as I think there dangerous as fook …..

I’m still struggling to understand why bow hunting is illegal🤔 I understand the wording behind the reasoning, however it just doesn’t fit together as a reasonable reason for the ban ….

It’s affective in the right hands as the rifle is , and both are dangerous and ill affective in the wrong hands …. I more believe it could possibly be because a bow would be harder to police or register as it can be homemade to any strength or hidden out of site…. But for it to be because it could wound an animal is relatively hard to understand with all the others being equally the same 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think the skill required to hunt humanely with a bow is exponentially higher than with a firearm in a non survival situation.

Also the law probably asks why someone wants to hunt with a bow; if it’s a test of skill then that can be done in a range of ways with targets; if it’s to hunt for the pot then it’s less efficient than a firearm suited to the prey, if it’s for vermin control then definitely more efficient ways of doing it. The principal reason someone wants (as opposed to needs) is because they WANT to and that’s not generally seen as a persuasive argument in law.

however those who hunt in this country must see the appeal or they wouldn’t bother … there are a limited few I would think that do it out of necessity …. Most must want to do it for whatever reason or another…. Fortunately the “want” for firearms is complemented by law with a way to do so …. The same laws could and would work for bow hunting also , tho it doesn’t and this is very strange to me .

After reading a few posts on google it seems that we don’t have enough connecting forest to safety bow hunt …. This is another strange opinion as a rifle has more chance IMO to stray and travel farther .

Am definitely giving this more thought than it’s worth 🤔😂 but I genuinely can’t find,what I would call a valid reason for the ban … lack of skill or length of forest or wounding an animal, anything that fires a projectile can be tagged with this ..

I think I will accept 38 answers and be done with it before I confuse myself any farther 😂

Most serious Bow hunting in other countries is carried out using "Compound Bows"
Once set up correctly they are a very accurate and powerful hunting option.....and very effective out to 30/40 yards in the hands of a competent archer.
The heads/piles would be a lot different than those used for target work.
There are sights specifically made for hunting that are fitted to the bows.
These Compound Bows are mostly shot using a release aid.....akin to a trigger if you like.....squeeze the shot off.

If it is subject that interests you ( curiosity only )......then have a look on "You Tube" setting up a Hunting Compound Bow....it is interesting.
Some of the set ups are beautiful things. :)

Most serious Bow hunting in other countries is carried out using "Compound Bows"
Once set up correctly they are a very accurate and powerful hunting option.....and very effective out to 30/40 yards in the hands of a competent archer.
The heads/piles would be a lot different than those used for target work.
There are sights specifically made for hunting that are fitted to the bows.
These Compound Bows are mostly shot using a release aid.....akin to a trigger if you like.....squeeze the shot off.

If it is subject that interests you ( curiosity only )......then have a look on "You Tube" setting up a Hunting Compound Bow....it is interesting.
Some of the set ups are beautiful things. :)

Watched a few bill , as you say beautiful things

it’s more a romantic notion if I’m honest, always wanted to do it , I’ve been accepted to the local archery club but things just get in the way so that’s on hold at the moment… when this post flashed up it peeked my interest to why it was banned…. But that moment is passed 😂

It's like the difference between using stones in a catapult when hunting and using ball bearings, one is illegal while the other is not. It is illegal to kill a bird or mammal with sticks or stones so the logical extension of that is that this also prevents a catapult hunter using stones as ammunition (because they are specifically prohibited)
At some point between 1963 and 1965 there was a list published of acceptable methods for taking quarry, bow hunting was not on that list so by implication it was deemed illegal. In 1981 the wildlife and countryside act clarified that by actually stating that it is illegal in section 11,1b of the act. The stated reason was animal welfare but I suspect that it also has something to do with elitism and the prevention of poaching.

Back