• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Army pot

Closest I’ve seen to a no 2 cooker is the Optimus 8R Hunter such as this:

They do come up cheaper; strangely a lot of the ones that come up from America list them as former USSR issue which I’m pretty certain they were not (as they’re pretty expensive which most Russian army kit wasn’t!)

No 38, the Opti 8 is about a quarter the size of the No2. You could pick up a No2 for pennies a few years ago but they fetch good money these days, petrol burner and were replaced with the No12 which burns paraffin/diesel fuel. I don't have a No2 but I've got a No12 and its a very loud beast of a stove ideal for a group. I've got an old 8r of my dads and my stove collector mate gave me a brand new one for my birthday a few years back, cracking little stoves ideal for one or two campers. I've seen new in box 8r go for over £100 on ebay. Bit of useless information for you, tins of lighter fuel hold the perfect amount of clean fuel to fill a No8, cheap to buy and easy to carry.

Joe, go for a No12, a much better stove than the No2. Aluminium case, stainless steel (big) fuel tank and the rest is brass, they will easily outlive you or me mate.

Reactions: Bam
We had petrol and diesel no 2 and no 12s in our vehicles; they were a bigger box but the gubbins of the stove wasn’t that different to the 8R; to the point that my 8R lived in my wagon as an OC as it was easier to use.

The burner and the tank sizers of an 8r are absolutely nowhere near the size of a No12 or the ancient No2.

I nipped out to the garage with a tape

8R 5" x 5" x3"
No12 10" x 10" x 5"

If your stove had a pump it was not an 8R it was an Optimus No111 6.5" x 6.5" x 3"

The No12 uses an Optimus fuel feed but completely different burner head.

Back