• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Army surplus rest of the world

2 litres of water is 2KG plus food.

Erbswurst you like lightweight camping but you must under stand that many, many campers/bushcrafters simply do not. Advocating a beginner sticks to around 6KG of kit is not doable for those who can't afford quality lightweight kit, in fact it could be dangerous.

Not to mention a box of wine weighs over 2kg.... Just sayin' :whistle:

Typical food for a bushcraft overnighter should include wine, brandy, steak, fresh veg, bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, mushrooms, bread, butter and more. Let the lightweighters go suck a protein bar.

Typical food for a bushcraft overnighter should include wine, brandy, steak, fresh veg, bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, mushrooms, bread, butter and more. Let the lightweighters go suck a protein bar.
Aye, an overnighter is different to a multiday trek. I don't do much of the latter any more so happy to go fairly heavy, even for a ten mile walk in, it's not a race.

Harry you may be right.

Let's try to put in a different thread a lightweight low budget surplus packing list together that works fine!

The problem I see with this project is, that not everything is always available in all sizes.

And not everything we can get on the surplus market is really cheap.

The first step would be to throw the British army equipment on the kitchen scales and to write the weights in the British surplus thread.

Than we could compare it with the weight of equipment from other armies, and get a well organised list together with stuff also a civilian who works in an office could use for trekking.

In my opinion the weight of clothing doesn't really matter, but I would like to know every single correct weight of every piece of equipment that we have to carry in the ruck sack including water proofs and warm layers.

If you look at my own equipment in the lightweight thread, you can see, that I recommend there surplus stuff too.
Very cheap stuff!

You can go on and on about lightweight kit, heavy weight kit etc... Knowledge is key and trying things out yourself, making mistakes is going to happen and would not recommend a beginner goes lightweight.....age is a factor of course and have found six cans of Belhaven best beer. And a half bottle of whisky rather than 12 cans and a gallon of whisky is no longer doable 😋😉

Knowledge of weight is knowledge too.

And try and error is a very expensive system.

???
Just find "to know/ to understand"
German "kennen"

If you mean that, my answer is:
Of course I know my equipment!
I use it every day!

I know the material, I know the weight, I know how to use it and when.
And I know how to look after it.

I think, that's normal, isn't it?

Reactions: lol
Back