• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

As a new shooter this may be a silly question

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
My first problem my Stoeger rx20 had lost a mount screw, will any mount screw fit? in fact I have noticed that a few do loosen quite a lot after a bit of shooting, is that normal?

They should be universal, but i'm not 100% certain. with the recoil on a spring gun it is worth investing in quality mounts. i would recommend sportsmatch or bkl . i also use clear nail polish on the threads, this acts as a thread lock but it will undo when you need to remove the mounts. i would also use a one piece mount over two piece.

I think they're normally described as Allen socket caps. All my mounts seem to use the same two sizes.
It isn't really normal for them to loosen with use but a common problem is that as you tighten one screw you may take the tension off another so to avoid this it is best practice to tighten each screw slightly in turn so that they all tighten up the same amount of thread to the same sort of torque. (Like when you fit a car wheel or cylinder head) Thread lock compound is cheap enough but Elsenham's nail varnish trick should do the trick just as well. Then you'll need to re zero your sight.

My first problem my Stoeger rx20 had lost a mount screw, will any mount screw fit? in fact I have noticed that a few do loosen quite a lot after a bit of shooting, is that normal?
If it screws in cleanly then it's fine to fit. As others have said, it depends on how you tighten either the bolts or screws.

Once the scope is securely on the rails (I've seen lots that weren't) make sure you tighten the screws/bolts in equal amounts, then use the long end of the Allen key to finally tighten them.

My Theoben gas ram rifle has 2BA cap screws holding the mount to the gun. Found out when the mount moved. The previous owner had refitted using countersunk head screws. Right botch job. Had to get 2BA cap screws off ebay. No problem now.

E
They should be universal, but i'm not 100% certain. with the recoil on a spring gun it is worth investing in quality mounts. i would recommend sportsmatch or bkl . i also use clear nail polish on the threads, this acts as a thread lock but it will undo when you need to remove the mounts. i would also use a one piece mount over two piece.
xcellent advice sir many thanks

I can pretty much guarantee that yours will be an M4 socket cap bolt for fixing the top of the mount or M5 metric socket cap where the mount fits to the rail Medwayman, BA threaded bolts are unusual these days.

If you tighten the screws in the correct sequence you should not have to use anything on the threads to hold them fast.
Personally, I have never had to use any.......on a PCP or Spring Rifle.
As with any rifle periodic checking of all screws is a good idea during routine maintenance and cleaning.

Scope diagram.jpg

Use equal tension on all of the screws as you go through the sequence in the diagram.

In this video, the guy tightens the back scope ring on its own without including the other one.......best to use the method in the diagram above and the exact sequence that it shows.
Do not overtighten the screws or you could damage the threads or worse crush the scope tube itself.
After tensioning you should have equal gaps between the top and bottom edges of the mount rings where they meet.

Good tips in the video relating to correct eye relief.....scope picture you should try to achieve.........and leveling to avoid "cant" (lopsided reticle)

Its very worth taking your time...........good scope mounting = accurate shooting.........if you do your bit correctly :thumbsup:

@Medwayman

Further to my post above ^^^^^^
Forgot to mention.....you would be better off removing the scope from the rifle and starting again following the advice offered.

When you start your proposed shooting practice......you can move forward with confidence knowing your set up is the best it can be.

Back