• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Asking for advice on walkie talkies

Hi Gizmo

Just saw this. Not clear from your post whether you are proposing using UHF or VHF. I would imagine UHF.

I dont know anything about UK licencing for hand held transceivers. But I would imagine that a 10W UHF unit would be good for the 12Km distance. I believe the indicated topography would less of an issue than the buildings in terms of blocking transmission.

In my experience, radio waves to seem to bend a bit under certain meteorological conditions (low cloud for example)

Alan

Well we took a walk today to change the SD card in my trailcam.
While out I set the radio to scan to see if I could pick up any signals but even though I scanned all the way through 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 519.9 MHz I heard nothing but the odd buzzy noise channels.
Am I doing something wrong or maybe we just have a quiet area?
The 15.6" antennas have not arrived yet so still using the approx 6" stock one.

Well we took a walk today to change the SD card in my trailcam.
While out I set the radio to scan to see if I could pick up any signals but even though I scanned all the way through 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 519.9 MHz I heard nothing but the odd buzzy noise channels.
Am I doing something wrong or maybe we just have a quiet area?
The 15.6" antennas have not arrived yet so still using the approx 6" stock one.
look up the freq for your local repeater... and listen .. :)

155.34375 - 155.35625 MHz Land Search & Rescue – Scotland only

Last edited:
IF you can find a local repeater you can listen to :) you could get into a system called echo link ... All repeater's around the world are linked via the interweb and have a "dial up number"

how it works is you call into your local repeater... you then dial up the repeater you want to transmit through (this could be anywhere in the world) and your signal gets transmitted .. to your local repeater.... then over the interweb ... then transmitted out of the repeater of choice in say texas us ... this means you can talk to guys in the us with the tiny hand held radio ;)

I was interested in just hearing what's going on over the frequencies but I'm getting nothing even with the NA-771 antennas.

I've set up the closest repeater (Ballieston, Glasgow 10.6km away) with it's uplink, downlink and offset settings. Nothing but static. Drove to the high point in my town. Nothing but static. Drove to within 7.5km of the repeater. Nothing but static from the repeater. (Yes, I did send the uplink tone and heard the morse response.)

Honestly I thought these would be useful in a situation where the mobile reception went down but I reckon I'd be better off shouting down a traffic cone. (of which we have plenty)

I'll persevere for a week or so but reckon I'll be returning these pointless things in the end.

As a form of communication between 2 interested parties they will do the job fine mate.... You need to turn both on and go for a drive calling back to mell or take them on a wander with mell sat in the car replying to you....... The bands that the radios have are not used very much these days..
But they are monitered for emergency transmissions so we'll worth taking when you go on a wander

IF you plan on coming to the summer meet i,ll bring my BIG hf radio with me and we can set up a station so we can get you on the hf frequencies :cool:

Back