• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Australian Swag Bag

Kernowek Scouser

Quite Addicted
I was just about to 'wow' you all with the details of a little early evening adventure I had (long story short, went out in the rain, hiked a couple of miles, climbed up a ruddy steep hill, set up me basha, made a brew, tried to identify some wild edibles, failed to identify any wild edibles, packed up me basha, climbed back down the hill, walked home) when I got a rare email from Facebook (which I primarily use to coral people I have known, but don't have any pressing need to speak to) and a targeted advert for this caught my eye.

WILD CANVAS AUSTRALIAN SWAG
swag-bedroll-300x225.gif photo-51.jpg photo-31.jpg photo-4-7-300x225.jpg flatpackandrolled-300x225.jpg

It looks a bit like the Czech Army bedroll and one those hooped bivi's you can get, it's just £100 more expensive (than the cost of both combined) at a mere £233 (inc poles and shipping, which are both extra)

Not for me, but it is still a rather fun bit of kit, which I thought I would share with you, even if it is way, WAY, out of my price range.

Has anyone here ever used one?

Attachments

• swag-bedroll-300x225.gif
    swag-bedroll-300x225.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 597
  • photo-51.jpg
    photo-51.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3,277
  • photo-31.jpg
    photo-31.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 977
  • photo-4-7-300x225.jpg
    photo-4-7-300x225.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 724
  • flatpackandrolled-300x225.jpg
    flatpackandrolled-300x225.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 431
Not seen one of them, looks very much like a hooped bivvy bag with a sleeping bag in but only cost more,bigger and bulky, not for me i think.

I expect it'll be great if you live in Oz, slight difference in climate over here though.. :)

From reading the info it does just appear to be a fancy duel configuration antipodean bivi bag, as it doesn't include either a sleep mat, for comfort or a sleeping bag / bedroll for warmth. And it is comparatively heavy, weighing in at 4,2kgs (most hopped bivi's appear to weigh between 1 & 1.5kgs) so adding a mat and bag inside could push the weight up to near 6kgs.

Bit too heavy for my liking (says the man who recently acquired a 9kg Polish sleep mat)

Iv had one of these for ages and to be fair it isnt a bad bit of kit , it's been waxed so is completely waterproof and bug proof aswell . It's not the same one advertised there but it is an australian swag which was around the £200 Mark , basically when it's hot weather it's ideal to just roll it out anywhere the matress and blankets should be rolled up with it so it literally takes a min , I wouldn't recommend it to everyone as you can get the necessary gear to do the exact same thing for a lot cheaper..........still it is pretty cool tho :)

Was googling Aussie swag bags and came across this post, so I thought I would revive it lol...

Watching some of the old Aussie bush shows on the tube and I really like the look of the swag bag ..... can’t find one like the bush tuckermans and Malcolm Douglas with the built in mozzy net,

we have completely different weather than down under, however having a tarp over the top and not camping next to a hill or natural slope into your camp then this would be just the ticket...... or I’ve been watching to many Australian programs 😁

there's a Utuber i like, Scottys Gone Walkabouts, who has said he's developing a modernized swag. he does some fairly serious all-weathers bushcrafting so it might be worth checking it out when he gets it to production stage. i doubt he's ever seen a flake of snow though so the colder weather here might be a no-go factor.

How about trying this, get an army quality poncho, a thin roll of silvered insulation sheet and wool blanket. Cut your insulated pad to half the size of the poncho but the same length, lay and fold the blanket to fit the insulated pad then fold the half poncho over the whole then lace the foot of the poncho and about 2/3ds the length of poncho loosely with para cord. place your dry clothing flat inside then rolling tightly from the foot end. Fold about the top 18 inches of the head end over (important) then continue to roll then lash the resulting sausage with a bit of cord ensuring that you leave enough cord to form a shoulder loop. There you have it, a waterproof swag at less than 2 kg weight that will be flexible enough to fold round your body. One extra we used to add was a space blanket for colder weather. Give it a try

Seen a lot of people using them for 4x4 exploring, principally in Oz where they work well under a pull out awning. For UK you’d still need a tarp most of the year as it’s impossible to administer yourself (try getting dressed in a sleeping bag for effect) in one and if it’s raining then the insides get wet when you’re getting in and out.

Seen a lot of people using them for 4x4 exploring, principally in Oz where they work well under a pull out awning. For UK you’d still need a tarp most of the year as it’s impossible to administer yourself (try getting dressed in a sleeping bag for effect) in one and if it’s raining then the insides get wet when you’re getting in and out.

Been there and done that on numerous occasions , now I wonder when that was. The closest
I've ever seen to a swag was the old Officers Camp Kit which also included a canvas bucket

Back