• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Aviemore 2023 pictures and trip reports only

Top center is Capella, middle center is Mars with Pleiades below and off to the right and Taurus below and left.
I think 15 seconds exposure was a little too long as the stars are a bit elongated but it's hard to judge in the dark on a small screen. lol
Nice work. I always struggle with guesstimating exposure times for night sky shots. The npf rule is all very well, but I can rarely be bothered when it's freezing cold!

THREE MEN IN A QUARRY

As is the norm on these trips our time of depature changed a few times before we settled on 8 p.m. The journey up was incident free & when we stopped at the services we only had a quick break.

We got to Dalraddy Holiday Park earlier than planned & they very kindly let us in early. Basecamp was soon established & we awaited Paul's (@G1ZmO) arrival. Paul soon got himself sorted & we gathered around the fire to chew the fat. We soon got to know the site via several trail walks & as mentioned we had the privilege of seeing the elusive red squirrel.

During the next few days there was much consumption of tea, frying of eggs, bacon & lorne sausage etc & @Matt rustled up a rather nice corned beef hash with myself being on cheesey mash detail. Our evening meals for the last 3 days were provided by the excellant Alvie Forest Food mobile van with offerings such as Beef brisket, beef burritos, chicken tikka masala, North Sea haddock goujons all served with a genorous portion of chips.

Paul kindly offered to act as our local taxi driver on trips to Loch an Eilein & on a jolly up to the Cairngorm Mountain Centre where we caught the funicular railway in the quest for snow & hot chocolate. We also went on a recce to try to find a suitable overnight hammocking area for future adventures. Paul drove up one track that led to a large rented lodging house that I later discovered had been used as a training base by the Special Operations Executive during WWII.

As usual the final day crept up on us all too quickly & after striking camp we ventured into Aviemore in order to fill up the tank for the long & winding road back to Devon.

Thanks again to @Matt for his company & skill at the wheel of his trusty trouble-free Landy. It was great to see @G1ZmO again who kept us entertained with sounds via Bluetooth speaker.

All in all I really enjoyed the trip & we are hoping that the pictures & write-ups will encourage more of you to consider attending these gatherings in the future.

Finally I would just like to say that if you are living in & around the East Kilbride area of Scotland & are in need of a plumber please contact Mel on 01355..........:D

Take care folks !

Sounds like you guys had a great time , I really need to prioritise this jaunt , my only problem is with it being in January , clashes with the wife's extensive birthday celebrations ..... also interested in any prospective Hammocking ;) :whistle::thumbsup:

Sounds like you guys had a great time , I really need to prioritise this jaunt , my only problem is with it being in January , clashes with the wife's extensive birthday celebrations ..... also interested in any prospective Hammocking ;) :whistle::thumbsup:
We scoped of a few ideal wild camping spots so thought we could do a night or two on the wild side

Thanks for sharing another fine video Paul :thumbsup:

Dodgy things them Fernikadoom railways......they take some stopping on ice :sad:

Last edited:
Back