• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Aviemore pictures and writeups (january 2022 )

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
1642432971773445875894205954462.jpg
1642433005690128956996345243158.jpg
1642433028518487433885437669127.jpg
1642433052537335125989462762967.jpg

Attachments

• 16424330959704235828307788610048.jpg
    16424330959704235828307788610048.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 86
So the time had come for me to pack my kit and head up the road to the site :). picked gav and bill up on the way to our first stop over point on route to camp :cool:
This was on the m6 at a travel lodge (excellent value if you book early ) suitably refreshed and fed and watered after the first 6hr stint behind the wheel we set of on the final 4,5 hr drive to the camp site :)
Bill was kind enough to have prepared a "pick and mix" of sweets which kept us going on the long drive ;).
3 hrs into the last leg of the drive and we were getting a strange noise "scrapping and a general that dont sound good noise from the trailer " .
pulled into a service area and diagnosed a wheel bearing had collapsed:eek:....
so a mission was on to make the load in the trailer as light as possible so we transferred as much kit as we could to the landrover and on the roof rack of the landrover :cool: we stripped out the old broken bearing and decided it was worth a punt to see if it would run on just 1 bearing on the out side of the hub rather than 2 ... so of we set at a much slower speed to try and nurse it to the camp site :cool:
As luck would have it paul was following up the rear so i asked him to shadow us and keep an eye on the trailer for the up would bound of the trip :cool:.
We managed to limp it to the site with out to much more bother :D

the site ...... Camping in Aviemore, the heart of the Scottish highlands

in truth i was a little bit worried about the site i had booked as it may have not been "wild enough" i was gladly surprised :)
we had the camp site to our selves the quarry area was perfect for our needs so we all set about setting up our gear and get the tents and stove's squared away :thumbsup: .

we had been on site less than a few minutes and the first of many log/fire wood deliveries arrived curtesy of the maintenance guys for the camp (just a side note ALL fire wood was supplied free of charge ) we were also handed an EHC which ment the guys could charge their power banks/phones and other items ;) ...

It was time to take a wander around the site to see where everything was ... the toilet block was less that 50 yrds from the quarry (which we had sole use off) the shower block was impressive with a laundry and also freezers we could use to keep food fresh ... the main office and little shop was well appointed and all good's sold were at a very reasonable price ,,, ideal for milk eggs, bread, bacon :)

Back to camp for an evening Infront of the fire :)

my next worry was what to do about the bearings on the trailer :eek::eek: after a quick search of the net there wasnt anyone local to get them from :mad: then had a look on Amazon :D:D got them delivered to site next day ... after a morning of faffing around with trying to make do with limited tools i managed to get it changed with the help of gavin :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i wont go into to much stuff on the trip as i would like the other guys who made the trip to give their versions of events and experiences

i would just like to say a big thank you to the guys and girls at the camp site who were more than help full and welcoming :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i would also like to thank my traveling companions @1 shot willie @gavin @G1ZmO for making the trip 1 of the best weve had so far :):)

last but in no meens least was nice to see you @Ark79 :cool:

Last edited:
Back