• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Aviemore Trip 2019 Pictures and Write ups

After reading pauls trip report there,s not much more i can ad except i had a great time with a good bunch of lads .

a few thanks go out to @WildWood1965 for keeping me awake on the drives up and back and for sorting the pick & mix :D

@1 shot willie and @G1ZmO for the great company around the fire and for the banter :D

on a side note @G1ZmO you need to learn how to make a cup of tea as i dont recall tasting one from you on the trip :whistle:

Same as Matt..... @G1ZmO ( Paul ) has summed it up very well in his post......don't want to duplicate it :)

Thanks to Paul and Mel for a nice breakfast on our arrival to pick up Paul and his kit.

Thanks also to Neil ( @WildWood1965 ) for collecting the water from the river and making everyone happy by making the tea most of the time........also for the huge bag of pick and mix.....teeth are now knackered :D...............enjoyed your company as co-pilot for some of the drive home 👍

@Matt for organising yet another great trip........organising accommodations for the breaks..........and for being an all-around good egg........ and company.
The ONE cup of tea he made was a real treat............and caught on camera for the disbelievers :sneaky::whistle:

On a personal note, I had a few issues with kit........the most devasting was my Exped sleep, Matt which I have total faith in normally.....but managed to get two small punctures to appear on one of the seams.......now found and will be repaired.
The Robens Fairbanks tent turned out to be a real bitch with sagging when wet (new tent )
This would not NORMALLY be a problem as the sagging could be adjusted by simply tensioning the straps at the pegs.
Because the ground was so hard with frozen snow and shale beneath the snow the pegs were holding.....but would not.....could not.......... cope with the tightening of the straps and pulled out easily.
I made the decision to drop the tent in the end and kip in the Landrover :(
Had my heater in the tent for a good few hours and managed to thaw and dry it out mostly before packing it away.

On our next trip, I will be taking my SlumitGobi 3..................I really rate it and enjoy using it.

The issues were a nuisance but did not affect my enjoyment on the trip.
I would not hesitate to use the Fairbanks in the snow again..............was just unlucky with the ground for pitching.

Apart from that.............. this was a brilliant trip being out in the snow..............looking forward to the next one!!!

A few pictures.....more on my phone to follow.

nice pictures mate 👍 shame about the mat and tent buddy but as you say it didn’t dampen your trip. We live to learn:D

Not much more for me to add to the other posts really folks.

Big thanks to @Matt for arranging the trip/accommodation etc & for being patient with his over-aged student 👍

Thumbs up to @G1ZmO & @1 shot willie for their company & banter around the fire 👍

It was good to catch up with @Hagrid & Emily & also with Mel & Daniel 🆒

It was a great trip that will live long in the memory that's for sure ! :)

I will let the pictures do the talking rather than boring you lot out of your skulls with my usual drivel ! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190204_101721278.jpg
    IMG_20190204_101721278.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20190204_102328416.jpg
    IMG_20190204_102328416.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20190204_104110281.jpg
    IMG_20190204_104110281.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20190204_104156375.jpg
    IMG_20190204_104156375.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 139
Way to go Neil........nice pictures........roll on the Summer meet and our next sortie to Scotters 👍
Have you had time to square the kit away yet?.........found the holes in my sleep matt mate...... :whistle:🤣

Well.....at last.......just squared away the last of the kit.......Fairbanks Tent now dry and stowed.

Managed to find TWO leaks on the welded seams of the Exped Lite Down Matt 5 LW ........ the same seam.....4 inches apart :mad:
Have made the repair and will try it out later on once the repair has cured.....they recommend 8 hrs to be fully cured.
If this happens again due to a faulty seam (and not careless use ) it will be going back to Exped!!

It could have been the ruination of the trip......will always take a back up in future........never had problems before........it has knocked my confidence in the matt and the quality of its production.

Never a good thing buddy when something like this happens 👎 hopefully it’s an isolated problem that’s now fixed :D

Never a good thing buddy when something like this happens 👎 hopefully it’s an isolated problem that’s now fixed :D

Yes Mark.....hopefully, I will have no further issues with it now 👍
I do use a very strong rubber footprint under the tent and take care to clear the pitch of any debris before I pitch......thus helping to prevent punctures.
So annoying when I found it was a manufacturing problem.

Onwards and upwards......all done now :)👍

Back