• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Axe of the day

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
A 600g hatchet marked GDR (East German communist era) and I think it's the logo for a firm called Bison But I'm not sure.
I fitted a new strait helve as close as I could get to the original, I just need to give it a slight edge.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a little light for me but I think it was made to be carried on a belt so it makes sense I suppose. It seems that Bison tend to be looked down upon by some collectors which is strange since they manufactured a range for Stihl......but as an everyday lightweight bushcrafty hatchet it's perfectly good.
The helve is a bit of a pain in the backside to fit though, they benefit from an hour in the oven to dry out and shrink a little before tapping in the back wedge.

Axe of the day, an unmarked but obviously hand forged Kent pattern hatchet with a nicely aged handle. I like them when they achieve the kind of finish that's created by long use.
This is my go-to kindling hatchet for the living room fire.
image.jpeg
is only

Last edited:
He’s a way counting them as we type :lol: by the sounds of it he could be there for a while:whistle::rofl:

Or he’s counted them and is now hugging each one..... :rofl:

He’s a way counting them as we type :lol: by the sounds of it he could be there for a while:whistle::rofl:

Or he’s counted them and is now hugging each one..... :rofl:

@Ark79

It must be awful for him Mark........knowing that SWMBO has more than one Axe to grind with him.......poor Mike :(:D

Last edited:
How many hatchets and axes do you have in your collection Mike?
Which one would you say is your absolute favourite......and why?

If you need to reply in code in case SWMBO see's this............we understand :whistle: :rofl:
In excess of 30 axes but it changes, I buy some and sell some...or even swap them. I'm building up to sell some of them during the autumn. Hard to say which is my favourite, different things for different reasons

BTW, what is all this SWMBO business? :rofl: I'm not the one who's just been henpecked into fitting a new kitchen or decorating the whole hoose in skulls motif wallpaper.
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :sneaky::whistle:

People with nae clothes on shoodny be swinging axes :rofl::p

You would think I should know better :whistle: but! Nope I don’t:rofl: also I'm a tad on the hypocritical side..as I have about 8 axes in the shed needing some love:lol:

Looks like I need to up my game on the axes, 2 hatchets and 1 axe, all from Aldi so I'm a bit of a council house kid on the axe front. 😧

They've been fine for me although I confess, my needs are pretty basic.

Back