• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Back to the stone age

Joecole

Very Obsessed
Just been watching part two when they've moved location and have just had a very wet and cold night
Bearing in mind that they are survival experts and we for the most part are just bushcrafters what would you have done to keep warm under the same circumstances

I would have thought that it would have been wise to have a fire lit overnight and concentrated on a group shelter rather than individual shelters during that overnight storm (sorry for the spoiler). There is no doubting that they all have excellent bushcraft skills but on seeing either fish or game in this episode they have been over excited and made a lot of noise or gestures that you simply cannot afford when hunting...which frightened fish and game away.

I would have thought that it would have been wise to have a fire lit overnight and concentrated on a group shelter rather than individual shelters during that overnight storm (sorry for the spoiler). There is no doubting that they all have excellent bushcraft skills but on seeing either fish or game in this episode they have been over excited and made a lot of noise or gestures that you simply cannot afford when hunting...which frightened fish and game away.
I agree with you Mike, think penguins, in the most bitter weather they form a circle all huddled together , as ones tires he/she moves into the centre and one from the inner ring moves out to keep the circle complete. However I'm working on the scenario where they made individual shelters with the exception of the married couple

Here's the clue
The Composting Effect

Haven't got a clue!... Still in the Stone Age here, I haven't got a TV..
happy0040.gif

Attachments

• happy0040.gif
    happy0040.gif
    769 bytes · Views: 19
Hi Sax imagine what happen when you make a compost heap, as green vegetation starts to break down it generate heat, your stuck in the wild somewhere and its getting cold you just pile up some green vegetation and never feel cold

Hi Sax imagine what happen when you make a compost heap, as green vegetation starts to break down it generate heat, your stuck in the wild somewhere and its getting cold you just pile up some green vegetation and never feel cold
I had a cat that used to sleep on the compost heap in exactly that way. He would be out there even during the coldest frosts. The silly bugger had two cat flaps to access the house but he was a bit of a wilding and preferred outdoors.

I had a cat that used to sleep on the compost heap in exactly that way. He would be out there even during the coldest frosts. The silly bugger had two cat flaps to access the house but he was a bit of a wilding and preferred outdoors.
A sensible cat Mike

There are other issues with the method of hunting, Stone Age man would have been unconcerned about achieving a clean kill and would have wounded animals and then skilfully tracked them as some African bushmen hunters still do to this day.
I have read theories that Stone Age man already had domesticated dogs that could have helped track game or keep them warm at night.
This producer of this program has chosen to examine elements of Stone Age life and ignore or sanitise others for the sake of the viewer.

There are other issues with the method of hunting, Stone Age man would have been unconcerned about achieving a clean kill and would have wounded animals and then skilfully tracked them as some African bushmen hunters still do to this day.
I have read theories that Stone Age man already had domesticated dogs that could have helped track game or keep them warm at night.
This producer of this program has chosen to examine elements of Stone Age life and ignore or sanitise others for the sake of the viewer.
I think they are obliged to sanitise it

I suspect their ability to hunt is also hampered by the fact that they have a camera crew trudging around with them.
Every time I watch a show like this I have in my mind "Where are the crew sleeping?" or "They're talking too loudly to camera"
The most recent season of Ed Stafford's "First Man Out" annoyed me no end on this issue. The producers obviously were hamming up the difficulty of the situations, for example Ed and his opponent scaling rock faces with no gear but somehow a cameraman also following while carrying gear and filming at the same time.

I suspect their ability to hunt is also hampered by the fact that they have a camera crew trudging around with them.
Every time I watch a show like this I have in my mind "Where are the crew sleeping?" or "They're talking too loudly to camera"
The most recent season of Ed Stafford's "First Man Out" annoyed me no end on this issue. The producers obviously were hamming up the difficulty of the situations, for example Ed and his opponent scaling rock faces with no gear but somehow a cameraman also following while carrying gear and filming at the same time.
And no doubt there was a paramedic on standby in case of accidents, four wheel drive vehicles, a catering company and a chemical porta-loo for the film crew. As much as I hate to hark back to the Edward Grylls episode of the overnight hotel stay I have to use it to illustrate that we simply don't know how much of this is real or contrived to make watchable viewing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the program and I'm finding that it's thought provoking but because of drastically reduced game density, modern social structures and health & safty requirements they can never give an accurate idea of Stone Age life.

Reactions: Bam
I’ve not watched it but delivered some Stone Age skill based forest school days to primary school children; one of the issues is which Stone Age are they talking about? American Indians were Stone Age tribes until they traded with European settlers, there are still possibly small groups living a partial Stone Age existence even today so it’s not all cavemen in loincloths from the Neolithic age!

I’ve not watched it but delivered some Stone Age skill based forest school days to primary school children; one of the issues is which Stone Age are they talking about? American Indians were Stone Age tribes until they traded with European settlers, there are still possibly small groups living a partial Stone Age existence even today so it’s not all cavemen in loincloths from the Neolithic age!

American Indians are the perfect example of how changes in game density can make a way of life non viable.

Because Paul they have a full rope crew with them, a prime example is Bear Grylls who has an ex royal marines climbing team

Back