• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Backpack

Old school karrimor, Lowe alpine, deuter all good high end manufacturers, as were osprey, macpac and berghaus. I’ve got an old jaguar 65 I use for work and it’s a good solid bit of kit, not as light as some more modern designs but then not am I!

I’ve also got a gelert Nepal 65 which is good and well specced and I wouldn’t discount the decathlon items you’ve already mentioned.

In your position (assuming you have a proportionate build) I’d either look for a second hand female specific model or at least try one on in a shop before buying - if a shop refuses to load it up with suitable weight and bulk walk away - both decathlon and go outdoors will do this for you.

Editing post as seen your options; Lowe alpine is great quality but as I’ve said I’d go for one of the bigger packs, I’d go for one with a minimum of 60 litres Unexpanded so the deuter or berghaus toridon on size alone.

Ok so I’m looking at the following. Will list in order of the pics. Which do you think is the best one to go for? A couple look in great condition, especially the Berghaus Torridon. Pics below. Thanks Amanda :)

Lowe Alpine Peak - 35-45L - cost is £20

Deuter Aircontact Pro - 65l + 15L - cost £25

Berghaus Torridon - 60l - cost £25

Berghaus Pulsar 55BC - 55L - cost £20

Berghaus Torridon I reckon

Good size, good condition & the adjustment & back cushioning look pretty good too ! :thumbsup:

I'm not willing to commit myself until you have been show rooming and tried a few for comfort, I'm not familiar with any of these models even though they're all well known brands. I know it is only £20-£25 but if its uncomfortable it's a waste of money.
A basic guideline is that the weight of the pack should be carried comfortably on the shoulders and hips with most of the weight in the upper part of the pack but as close to your centre of gravity as possible. If you're still in doubt after trying a few I'd suggest that you go for the one with most adjustment.

Old school karrimor, Lowe alpine, deuter all good high end manufacturers, as were osprey, macpac and berghaus. I’ve got an old jaguar 65 I use for work and it’s a good solid bit of kit, not as light as some more modern designs but then not am I!

I’ve also got a gelert Nepal 65 which is good and well specced and I wouldn’t discount the decathlon items you’ve already mentioned.

In your position (assuming you have a proportionate build) I’d either look for a second hand female specific model or at least try one on in a shop before buying - if a shop refuses to load it up with suitable weight and bulk walk away - both decathlon and go outdoors will do this for you.

Editing post as seen your options; Lowe alpine is great quality but as I’ve said I’d go for one of the bigger packs, I’d go for one with a minimum of 60 litres Unexpanded so the deuter or berghaus toridon on size alone.

Lost out on the Berghaus by 37p and the person selling the Deuter pulled out on the sale. There’s a Karrimor Panther. Is that an old one or the newer (sports direct brand)?

I'm not willing to commit myself until you have been show rooming and tried a few for comfort, I'm not familiar with any of these models even though they're all well known brands. I know it is only £20-£25 but if its uncomfortable it's a waste of money.
A basic guideline is that the weight of the pack should be carried comfortably on the shoulders and hips with most of the weight in the upper part of the pack but as close to your centre of gravity as possible. If you're still in doubt after trying a few I'd suggest that you go for the one with most adjustment.

This is good advice re getting a pack to fit you well but if you are going down the secondhand route (A lot of us would & have) the chances of you getting to try it out are virtually zero unless it is a local Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree or car boot sale situation.

If you go for a used rucksack that you don't get on with then you can sell it on yourself anyway.

It is always hit & miss with kit in my opinion whether you buy new or used. Some things you will love & others you will be thinking to yourself " Why the hell did I spend my hard earned on this " !

As has been mentioned previously the right deal for the next piece of kit that you want will come along sometimes when you least expect it ! :thumbsup:

P.s found a Karrimor Monsoon 55L one for £35. I think that is one of the older ones?

Lost out on the Berghaus by 37p and the person selling the Deuter pulled out on the sale. There’s a Karrimor Panther. Is that an old one or the newer (sports direct brand)?

This is the older Karrimor label

KARRIMOR Rucksack Backpack PANTHER 2 Super Tough KS100 Fabric Black / Navy Large | eBay

This is the newer one after they sold out to Mike Ashley's Sports Direct & the quality of manufacture took a dive !

NEW KARRIMOR PANTHER 65+5 LADIES RUCKSACK NAVY / GREEN HIKING CAMPING TREKKING | eBay

This one I think falls somewhere between the two !

KARRIMOR PANTHER SA 55-65 BACKPACKING RUCKSACK | eBay

P.s found a Karrimor Monsoon 55L one for £35. I think that is one of the older ones?

I can't find that one on e-bay

The older style Jaguar seems to get good feedback from some of the guys on here & I have heard that they are good

Karrimor do use the old names on their newer rucksacks just to confuse things in this situation

The Karrimor Panther 65+5 that @WildWood1965 has linked to is VERY similar to the "Osprey" design........and a better price.
The adjustability is a huge bonus..........nice pack..........no experience of quality though.

I went for this one on eBay. Cost £27 including postage. Pics ain’t great on the listing but they said good, clean condition. It’s the Lowe Alpine Appalachian 65+15 with the air cooled back system. You guys recommended Lowe Alpine and it seemed like a good price. What do you think?

Attachments

• E90A7D2C-BD31-4DFE-B01A-68AFA44BB5CD.png
    E90A7D2C-BD31-4DFE-B01A-68AFA44BB5CD.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 85
  • C2284237-5AC4-45C9-AB5A-4162606362C7.png
    C2284237-5AC4-45C9-AB5A-4162606362C7.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1B17B897-948E-4BDC-977B-6A4C2BB6A544.png
    1B17B897-948E-4BDC-977B-6A4C2BB6A544.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 89
Time to take it for a walk, spend some time stopping and adjusting it until it's fitting is as close as you can get to spot on. Don't forget to get a couple of dry bags for your clothes and sleeping bag.
Please let us know how you get on with it, we're always interested to find out more and there seem to be very few female reviewers of this kind of thing.

Back