• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Backpack

lovelife82

Extremely Talkative
Hey everyone,

So the plan is to go out eventually and wildcamp :) More than likely it’ll be with me and Luna (my dog) so was wondering what you guys thought of the following backpack? It gets some pretty good reviews and comes with a waterproof cover. Or if you would recommend any others.

Thanks

Amanda :)

Last edited:
I’m a general fan of decathlon kit as it is generally well designed and competitively priced; to wild camp with 50 litres then you will need to have invested in some compact gear to fit it all in; sleeping bags especially that small will be expensive if they are worth having.

I’d be tempted to look at the 65litre range on the bay of e for probably about the same price but potentially better specced.

I’m a general fan of decathlon kit as it is generally well designed and competitively priced; to wild camp with 50 litres then you will need to have invested in some compact gear to fit it all in; sleeping bags especially that small will be expensive if they are worth having.

I’d be tempted to look at the 65litre range on the bay of e for probably about the same price but potentially better specced.

Thanks. I can’t seem to find any of the Solognac 65l ones on eBay? Also I don’t want to go too big and most of the stuff I have is pretty compact. I would only be doing a couple of nights and sometimes just the one so do you still think the 50l is too small?

If you’re disciplined then you don’t have to fill a 65l pack (although you often will), 50l is not a lot unless you go properly light weight and compact on some of the key items (especially sleeping bags) and that can come at significant cost.

I’d advise getting all the stuff you intend carrying and see how much room it takes up; work out the volume of one of your bag for life shopping bag (my Sainsbury’s ones are just over 30 litres) and see if your stuff fits in 50 litres of space.

If you are buying pre owned on the bay or gumtree etc then look for other brands, karrimorr (old not newer stuff with is sports direct push), berghaus, Lowe alpine etc. You can buy an excellent pack with lots of functionality and adjustability so it actually fits for not much money.

Just one thing to remember, being a girl, you might find a long pack uncomfortable to wear. We ladies tend to have shorter backs than the menfolk so before you spend some dosh, pop into Millets or Go Outdoors and try some packs on, you know different sizes, shapes etc. You don't have to buy, but it will give you an idea of the type of pack that is most comfy to wear.
I never went bigger than 50L, but I did tie my sleeping bag on the outside of my bag. But again, it might be worthwhile looking and mentally packing various sizes in the shop!:)

I’d agree with trying some on, ask them to weight them so you can see how comfy they are. To my mind if you need to put your sleeping bag outside then you need a bigger pack, not least to ensure the most important part of your kit is properly protected! All the big kit manufacturers make women’s versions with back systems and hip belts designed for the female physique.

Just one thing to remember, being a girl, you might find a long pack uncomfortable to wear. We ladies tend to have shorter backs than the menfolk so before you spend some dosh, pop into Millets or Go Outdoors and try some packs on, you know different sizes, shapes etc. You don't have to buy, but it will give you an idea of the type of pack that is most comfy to wear.
I never went bigger than 50L, but I did tie my sleeping bag on the outside of my bag. But again, it might be worthwhile looking and mentally packing various sizes in the shop!:)

Thanks. Can I ask which one you use and what you think of it?
:)

Just chipping in here...... The Osprey range are worth a look at for what you want to do......and 65/75 ltr is a good choice.
A bit more expensive than some brands..... But excellent build and quality.
You can pick them up used on evil Bay.

Thanks. Can I ask which one you use and what you think of it?
:)

Good lord, you're asking now! I'm pretty sure it was a Kelty. I was given it as a teenager by a friend from the local USAAF base when her family moved back to the States. It had an external frame and was more a blocky shape. I'm not sure if you can still get packs with an external frame over here for a sensible price, which is a shame as they tend to be more female friendly (by way of adjustability) and versatile. It lasted many years and I found it very comfortable, I gave it to a friend who is into HAM radio to carry her kit when she goes portable.

I'm an old fartess and gave up backpacking a few years ago, which is why I'm not sure if they are still available but they are worth looking for.

Last edited:
Just chipping in here...... The Osprey range are worth a look at for what you want to do......and 65/75 ltr is a good choice.
A bit more expensive than some brands..... But excellent build and quality.
You can pick them up used on evil Bay.

Thanks but think that might be out of my price range atm

Good lord, you're asking now! I'm pretty sure it was a Kelty. I was given it as a teenager by a friend from the local USAAF base when her family moved back to the States. It had an external frame and was more a blocky shape. I'm not sure if you can still get packs with an external frame over here for a sensible price, which is a shame as they tend to be more female friendly (by way of adjustability) and versatile. It lasted many years and I found it very comfortable, I gave it to a friend who is into HAM radio to carry her kit when she goes portable.

I'm an old fartess and gave up backpacking a few years ago, which is why I'm not sure if they are still available but they are worth looking for.

“Old fartess” 😂😂 Hey don’t sell yourself short. Do you still go camping? Thanks for the information. Unfortunately that’s out of my price range atm. Looks like a good one though :)

Would you say this was worth £20?

Attachments

• F6A9BAC3-5A6B-47DC-8D50-53A3E7F7374D.jpeg
    F6A9BAC3-5A6B-47DC-8D50-53A3E7F7374D.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 321306A3-5172-4A99-B13A-7791D0E73CC8.jpeg
    321306A3-5172-4A99-B13A-7791D0E73CC8.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 142
50l is not much more than a winter day bag, get something bigger and remember your not obliged to fill it each trip. Nobody laugh but some of the Argos packs are fine

Buy ProAction Backpack - 65L | Camping rucksacks | Argos Not much in the way of side pockets but looks to be comfortable and has good reviews. I've had a small 30 ish litre pack I use as a day sack and its been solid.

I have an old Karrimor Jaguar 65litre from before Karrimor became crap. It has an adjustment system so it will fit most physiques. Two main compartments plus two side pockets along with all the outside straps that anyone could ever dream of. It's a little heavy compared to a lot of modern 65 litre packs but that's OK by me as long as it continues to last.
One thing I would reccomend is packing critical items like spare clothes and sleeping bag safely inside your pack in dry sacks. There is nothing more dispiriting than going into your pack looking for dry socks and finding a soggy mess. Dry sacks are not expensive but will save you grief and help keep your kit organised. There are few things more miserable than a wet sleeping bag.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Ok so I’m looking at the following. Will list in order of the pics. Which do you think is the best one to go for? A couple look in great condition, especially the Berghaus Torridon. Pics below. Thanks Amanda :)

Lowe Alpine Peak - 35-45L - cost is £20

Deuter Aircontact Pro - 65l + 15L - cost £25

Berghaus Torridon - 60l - cost £25

Berghaus Pulsar 55BC - 55L - cost £20

Attachments

• 67AF9279-0B10-4CDE-A00D-25ACBB183BFF.jpeg
    67AF9279-0B10-4CDE-A00D-25ACBB183BFF.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 23B4100E-7846-44EB-B2E5-5936F26EF600.jpeg
    23B4100E-7846-44EB-B2E5-5936F26EF600.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 134
  • E7156B05-A5B0-41D4-916E-4FB5AA0B6C38.jpeg