• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alvey Bait Pump, Bait Pumping lugworms

Depends on how many we manage to pump Mark :)
Tomorrow is a learning day really.....but if we get a dozen then yes mate.
I have the vacuum pump and bags here now.....so we are prepared......need to get hold of some news paper.

A good hint is to put a little electrical tape around the tube about four inches up from the very end as a depth guide, go in at the breather hole angled 15-30 degrees in the direction of the worm cast drawing out the plunger as soon as the tube hits the sand but only going as deep as the electrical tape. Only ever go in up to the electrical tape but do it swiftly three or four times before the worm has time to react. Empty the sand in the tube in an ark across the surface so the worm is immediately visible when you’ve pulled him out. This way the pump pulls the worm out forwards before the worm knows anything is going on.
If you try pushing the bait pump too deep it just compacts sand inside it and makes it much harder to draw the sand up the tube. You'll find it’s about speed and stealth rather than strength once you’ve nailed the technique.

Cheers Mike.....I have done exactly that mate..... tape at 4 and 6 inches max depth :thumbsup:
My boy and I are sat enjoying a hot drink before we hoof it out of the door to the sands in about an hours time.
He is looking forward to it.....but not keen on picking up the worms at the moment :rofl:.......once he sees me hopefully picking up a few.....he will feel more as ease.....bless him.

I set the pump up and lubed it with veg oil at first.......washed that out this morning and changed the lube to washing up liquid......feels much better :)

Tally Hoh......we are going in :thumbsup:

Well scupper my Nimblets with a pork chop......we came away from the beach together........ wormless.........not a single one did we pump. :rolleyes: :rofl:
Absolutely hundreds of casts.....but no breather/blow holes......this points to the worms being deeper in the sand because of the cold.
I did not want to risk the outer banks as I had my Grandson with me.....little boots don't like deepish channels :)
Going to leave it a few weeks now until things warm up a bit.

As for the pump itself.....excellent quality piece of kit.....only gripe is the use of a wing nut to adjust the pumps suction.......easily moved so will be swopping that out for a standard nut.

Did not do the back any good at all......feeling it now :rolleyes:

Until the next time :)

Yep that was the plan Mike....had my Grandson with me and did not want to chance the outer bar.
Will be on my own next trip.

Used one myself for many years started off with the larger bore type but soon changed to the 28mm long version
20231112_125207.jpg
20231112_125207.jpg
Hopefully you've perfected the technique by now few things to keep an eye on to help put things in your favor temperature obviously the colder it gets will drive them down and more important air pressure high pressure will have the worms going deeper low pressure they'll be closer to the surface if you make a note of tides and air pressure a trend will show itself and you can make the most of the good days
As for pumping itself plenty youtube vids to look at the wetter the sand the easier it is and l tend to go in at an angle to the cast 6 to 8 inches away saves on your back a bit lol

Used one myself for many years started off with the larger bore type but soon changed to the 28mm long version
View attachment 158018View attachment 158018
Hopefully you've perfected the technique by now few things to keep an eye on to help put things in your favor temperature obviously the colder it gets will drive them down and more important air pressure high pressure will have the worms going deeper low pressure they'll be closer to the surface if you make a note of tides and air pressure a trend will show itself and you can make the most of the good days
As for pumping itself plenty youtube vids to look at the wetter the sand the easier it is and l tend to go in at an angle to the cast 6 to 8 inches away saves on your back a bit lol
It never occurred to me to check atmospheric pressures, well worth keeping in mind when we finally make the move back to the coast.

View attachment 158018View attachment 158018

All good Rigers.....not been able to get out of late....hoping all will change next year 👍8

Back