• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bannock Bread

Matt Mac

Extremely Talkative
Hey. Another wondering where I made a bit of bannock bread.
  • 1cup flour
  • 1cup oats
  • ½cup sugar and raisins.
Quick simple tastie.
IMG_20160721_140146750.jpg

Hi Matt.

Missed this one:rolleyes:

That looks well tasty mate:thumbsup:
We have a few of the guys who have made Bannock at the forum meets.....and very nice it was too.
This is somthing I have yet to do myself.........job for 2017 :D

How did you cook it?

You also mentioned recipies.....one of my favourite cook ups is crispy belly pork.......chopped onions....tinned tomatoes with a sprinkling of chinese 5 spice.....mashed potatoes and brussle sprouts.
Washed down with a nice brew.:thumbsup:

Breakfast has to be a nice fry up;)

Hi Matt.

Missed this one:rolleyes:

That looks well tasty mate:thumbsup:
We have a few of the guys who have made Bannock at the forum meets.....and very nice it was too.
This is somthing I have yet to do myself.........job for 2017 :D

How did you cook it?
It is lovely. Great source of cards. I used my trangia. Faithful little burner. Ide love to attend a meet up soon.

There is a good meet coming up in the Summer Matt ( See meets section Southwest )
Its a very good venue and normaly well attended.:thumbsup:

Had my first try at bannock bread last week on a canoe camp...…. not so successful, dry and claggy in the middle:(...had it with honey and mustard chicken cooked on an open fire. The chicken was ok though:)

Ok....thought long and hard about this.....should I reveal my secret recipe?
This is the most basic one.

Ingredients
  • 2 handfuls of plain flour
  • 1 handful of powdered milk
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • Small amount of water
  • 1 handful of dried fruit/raisins
Mix the flour, milk and baking powder. add water slowly while mixing. When mixed add the mixed fruit (or not if you are like lol).
Bake in a tin or wrap round a stick and bake over the fire.
You can also add sugar to sweeten or salt and butter for flavour.

Ok....we'll forget the rat poo...sorry, raisins...;)….. how many is this for, how long do you cook it, how much water, how thick is it in the pan, and should the pan be greased/oiled?

...on a need to know basis, you understand....:whistle:

I think it will do about two thirds of the one in the picture from last summer camp. Time depends on how hot the fire is and how close you hang it to the fire. About 25 minutes well above the fire. I create a fairly soft mix and use a non stick liner in the pot. I put a spacer in a larger pot for the cook pot to stand on with a cup of water in the outer pot and put a lid on the outer. Hope that makes sense. DSC_0176.JPG

Reactions: lol
er…………..I'll re read it when I'm sober...er. I need to count up the pots...…….

(Thank you very much, I'll give this a go!)

Got a different recipe for my bannocks, I like to go high-calories:

1 cup flour (whole grain)
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup linseeds (broken)
2 pinches of salt
1 pinch of sugar
1/2 pinch of pepper
1 hand full of dried onions
1/2 bag of dry yeast
spices according to personal preferences

That stuff goes to a zipper-bag and is processed on location. Made some in THIS VIDEO here.

Back