• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

BASC shooting insurance.......nahhhhh

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Just had my renewal form through from them.....£71.00 for a senior citizen :eek:
I feel a bit begrudging paying that.

So at the end of August I will be renewing....... and re joining the "National Gamekeepers Association" who I was with years ago.
Still a comprehensive insurance.....with only ONE glossy magazine per annum.

The NGO's £45 Membership Subscription includes public liability insurance for up to £10 million whilst taking part in any listed gamekeeping or shooting activity for recreational purposes as well as covering you whilst earning no more than £5,000 per annum through shooting (including carcas sales).

Quite a saving 🤔 :thumbsup:

Wow interesting. I renewed for way less this year but I am just an airgun member. I assume your extra is due to firearms.

I pay nowhere near that for a full FAC and shotgun insurance with an open licence...Try these people, www.gunplan.co.uk an introductory offer just under £20 rising by 10% for the second year.... One or two people have mentioned to me that BASC are taking the piss with their pricing these days. They've also been doing a poor job as advocates for shooting, having done very little to protect the rights of target shooters using .50cal bmg.
This policy gives you the full 10 million public liability, £2500 accidental damage cover and legal assistance. No special restrictions on earnings, venue or type of shooting....absolutely no glossy magazines or faux discounts for senior citizens though.

Last edited:
I second Gun Plan, I've been a customer for 6+ years now. They also offer cover for Archery and kit, very easy company to deal with and £10, 000,000 public liability cover as standard.

It may even be possible to negotiate a more permanent discount code for the forum members as I know they do discounts for syndicates. I'll contact them tomorrow and find out.

I have been able to negotiate an introductory offer for gun plan insurance which would give a 35% discount off their basic multi disciplinary shooting insurance (FAC, shotgun, air gun and archery) giving public liability insurance of £10,000,000.
The following year unfortunately has no discount but my renewal will be the grand total of £26.99 which is still pretty reasonable.

They will give new account holders 30% off but they have given us 35% for members. There will be a discount code posted in the VIP section

Reactions: Bam
I’m just wondering, do any of these other insurers give out any discounts or offers for related services etc? There seems to be a trend at the minute of bashing BASC purely because other insurers are cheaper. I have in-laws that always go for the cheapest option regardless and I’ll repeat what I say to them “cheapest is not necessarily best or even best value for money”. Not trying to start an argument but trying to see where you’re coming from :)

Hi Bionic.

I totally agree that the cheapest is not always the best.......but......if you can find a comprehensive cover for half the price.....it makes sense to go for it.
Most members are not interested in the offers and discounts ..........nor the 4 glossy mags they produce and send out........all most shooters want.... is the knowledge and security of being covered when out shooting.........not discount on a new "Ford Ranger" :D

Makes you wonder how much of an individuals membership costs subsidise all the frills that are of no interest to most.
Profits made by BASC from these mags and the advertising therein plus other money making schemes....... could be shared with members to bring down membership costs for loyal members.

Just my thoughts mate :thumbsup:

I have been able to negotiate an introductory offer for gun plan insurance which would give a 35% discount off their basic multi disciplinary shooting insurance (FAC, shotgun, air gun and archery) giving public liability insurance of £10,000,000.
The following year unfortunately has no discount but my renewal will be the grand total of £26.99 which is still pretty reasonable.
Do you have a link? :thumbsup:

I'm being sent a discount code that will give the 35% or you can follow the link earlier in the thread that will give a 30% discount.
Sorry mate, I'm thick....I've seen no link; I'll wait for your code etc. Thanks!

(Ooops yes I have :oopsy: :thumbsup: !!!!)

I understand all the above points of view and agree with Bill I am not interested in the shiny deals from BASC. However I do think they do far more work at government level on behalf of the shooting fraternity. Hopefully the work they do will prevent us having to license air guns in England and push back at some of the ridiculous attacks from misguided areas. I am not interested in getting into a discussion. Just my personal take on the situation.

I’ve had BASC insurance for a few years now, it’s a monthly payment of £5. I don’t shoot at the moment however I thought keeping it running would be a good idea for when I do. Probably cheaper and better out there right enough

I’m just wondering, do any of these other insurers give out any discounts or offers for related services etc? There seems to be a trend at the minute of bashing BASC purely because other insurers are cheaper. I have in-laws that always go for the cheapest option regardless and I’ll repeat what I say to them “cheapest is not necessarily best or even best value for money”. Not trying to start an argument but trying to see where you’re coming from :)
I have only ever heard good things about gun plan insurance, they answer emails promptly and if you wish to talk to a real human they're easy to contact. There are no price bands below the one I've mentioned but that covers you for all shooting disciplines with no restrictions or caveats to prevent you from earning from your shooting.
I believe BASC do a discounted price insurance for gamekeepers in full time employment (not amateurs) they also do some subsidised courses for gamekeepers. (Non available due to covid)

Reactions: Bam
Back