• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Basics And The Rule Of 3

Discovery is not an "IF" it's definitely! Going to happen so One has to except this. Moving around! For me isn't about detection it's all about thriving......it may or may not work..who knows? Adapting to your new environment is essential to moving past survival and into a lifestyle

mobile lifestyle may work for small groups, even the American first nations divided into small bands, but it will mean moving on a regular time scale as each area becomes depleted of food . so one would be continually on the move and movement just begs for detection.

Not continuous movement.."seasonal" or rotate the hunting grounds within the area that I have chosen to stay. And detection is much higher when one is stationary.

All nomadic tribes even today were not and are not small groups

There is food to find if you think out of the box. Here I would include snake, lizard & birds as well as small & medium game. Plant wise the UK is better off than we are & you can dry any plant to preserve it. It will take up little room & it is very light. Three plants alone should keep you fed, nettle, dandelion, & cattail.
Keith.

Not continuous movement.."seasonal" or rotate the hunting grounds within the area that I have chosen to stay. And detection is much higher when one is stationary.

most of the tribes these days and i'm thinking of Amazonian tribes are nothing more than extended family groups, after all blood is thicker than water and if you cant trust your family who can you trust??

most of the tribes these days and i'm thinking of Amazonian tribes are nothing more than extended family groups, after all blood is thicker than water and if you cant trust your family who can you trust??

They can't all be family lone. Breeding would be impossible lol.

They can't all be family lone. Breeding would be impossible lol.
I did say "extended family", that means bringing in brides and grooms from other tribes.
yes as you say if it was just family then there would be a lot of inbreeding.

inbreeding could be a problem post SHTF if the survivor numbers are low.
not that I will be doing any of this breeding myself!:lol:

what spare time?:lol:
if people think there will be any spare time post SHTF they are sadly mistaken, survival will take up all our waking hours (for the first several years at least) if it doesn't they are doing it wrong;)
there will always be something that needs doing. just ask any farmer, an 80-100 hour week is normal.

Last edited:

While a tribe as a whole might be quite large it is often composed of smaller family groups or villages, each large enough to function independently but part of a larger gene pool and trading group, able to band together for mutual defence if necessary. Each individual contributes in the way that he or she is best able though in most cultures men hunt while women gather or farm.
My partner and I don't constitute a large enough group to be able to survive on our own in this way so we need to link up with extended family.

My partner and I don't constitute a large enough group to be able to survive on our own
that is a fallacy, that's what TPTB want you to think so you'll go to them for your survival and be put up in a concentration camp, err sorry, a "rescue centre"!!:lol:
the smaller a group the less food and water they will need( in total), tasks will take as long as they take its not like we'll be punching a time clock! as for security that dosen't necessarily need a physical presence, there are other ways!

depends where you are, how far you are from a city and how many others survived.
would have thought you were okay on a hilltop in Wales??
"never say die":thumbsup:

Last edited:
Not a falsehood at all LW, for two people to work enough hours to feed, clothe and protect themselves would not allow any downtime for sickness, injury or recreation. That in itself would be hard but do-able, not much to look forward to though, hard graft and a slow decline. It all sounds so simple on a web forum but when one of us slips and breaks leg or gets seriously sick it's game over.
Groups are better but even a reasonably large group wouldn't be able to carry much dead weight.

groups are only workable if they are family members, once you add in strangers you then have the problem of not only trust but getting them to do what you want them to do.
I think in the UK groups will be family and family only, if that family happens to be only 2 then so be it.
at some point down the line it may be possible to link up with other groups, similar to the Amish but without the religion, but to begin with and for some considerable time, we will all be on our own and will have to do the best we can.
sickness is caused by coming into contact with other people carrying germs-solution=avoid other people.
injuries- I have had one serious bike accident and a couple of minor fractures, solution= watch what your doing.
sure if I had my gall bladder problem post SHTF i'd probably be long dead now, but that could happen to anyone in a small group or a large one-it wouldn't matter the size of the group the result would be the same.

Last edited:
"Amish but without the religion" :p well good luck with that one...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually I do understand what you're saying LW, any group beyond a family hierarchy would have to be like minded and able to function without breaking into bickering. Also there would have to be some kind of accepted code of conduct within the group that was abided by all.

we could have small groups that lived for the most part separately but came together at harvest time or to help with a major construction project or for defence. depending on the survival rate of course.

What about yourself?
I intend to stay where I an initially, I'm part way up a hill tucked into a depression in a hillside, it's a good defensive position that isn't particularly well known, people who've lived in the area their whole lives don't realise it's here. As for water, we already capture rainwater and store it in IBCs for supplying water to the paddocks, garden and toilets. We have a great many springs in the hills surrounding us but none mapped on our hill. Although I do ferret, trap and shoot I'm more of a farmer and gardener. I have been improving the forage in my area by adding hazel, beech, apples, greenguages, damsons and plums to the hedges. I grow figs, strawberries, black grapes, heritage cucumbers and tomatoes in my greenhouse while outside in the garden I grow seasonal vegetables. Travel without a vehicle in my area would be difficult at first becoming harder as the roads fell into disrepair but as I said earlier I would definitely want to head to the coast for part of the year, (probably by bicycle) where I would set up gill nets and long lines to fish intensively. Cold smoking any catch would allow me to preserve a good amount of protein. Im reasonably good at foraging cockles, limpets, razor shells etc. I'm very into kayaking and I'm comfortable on open water. I think cashing a kayak with some goods inside it would be possible at one of my secondary bug out sites but I haven't done so yet because I don't have a spare.

we could have small groups that lived for the most part separately but came together at harvest time or to help with a major construction project or for defence. depending on the survival rate of course.
Or indeed trade and social events where young people can meet each other with a view to marriage ...I think this would be necessary for long term species survival.

I have 3 chosen locations with a good source of water and food,wild edibles. I visit them as much as I can so to familiarise myself. A would sustain myself and my family with hunting and foraging. (Not an easy task)....a few pics of the places I visit View attachment 171View attachment 172View attachment 173View attachment 174View attachment 175View attachment 176View attachment 177View attachment 178View attachment 179View attachment 180
Life wouldn't be easy at first no switches to get heat or showers to stay clean. As time goes by we would adapt to our surroundings and live more eloquently lol. Don't get me wrong I would much like to live my life as I do know and enter into the wild as preparation and a get away (fun) but if it happens then we are ready. If the shtf then it would be a more Natural way of life. Shelter would be a hunters shack of sorts then progress to a log cabin but we wouldn't stop there I wouldn't have just one spot to live a would rather have 3 or possibly 4 sites to rotate my hunting and gathering so not to deplete the area. Not sure if I would grow crops or try to sustain our survival of natural growing food mmmm conundrum lol. I would also consider grouping up with family and friends.
Beautiful.
And no one would complain if we wore coney fur!
My next project is an outdoor solar shower. Probably only any use in summer but better than nothing.

Back