• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Basics And The Rule Of 3

If we stay where we are, which we firstly intend to do, then we have our own water supply from rain catchment in three 5000 gallon water tanks & three 1000 gallon water tanks plus Cattail Pond below the main house which is fed by a header stream.
We grow our own food in two large garden areas, & we live in a forest so we are able to hunt & trap for meat.

If we have to leave here we will be following one of two available water courses, this will supply us with water & food.
Keith.
DSCF0035_REDUCED.jpg
Laundry_Water_Tank_003_REDUCED.jpg
Water_tanks_REDUCED.jpg
Water_tank_overflow_002_REDUCED.jpg
Dam_Flats_REDUCED.jpg
DSCF3336_REDUCED.jpg
lt looks a very well-found place. What is your annual rainfall? Do your streams run all year?
The spring that was the original water source here can be very slow if there's a dry summer which is why a previous owner dug the borehole.

Attachments

• DSCF0035_REDUCED.jpg
    DSCF0035_REDUCED.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Laundry_Water_Tank_003_REDUCED.jpg
    Laundry_Water_Tank_003_REDUCED.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Water_tanks_REDUCED.jpg
    Water_tanks_REDUCED.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Water_tank_overflow_002_REDUCED.jpg
    Water_tank_overflow_002_REDUCED.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Dam_Flats_REDUCED.jpg
    Dam_Flats_REDUCED.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 48
I intend to stay where I an initially, I'm part way up a hill tucked into a depression in a hillside, it's a good defensive position that isn't particularly well known, people who've lived in the area their whole lives don't realise it's here. As for water, we already capture rainwater and store it in IBCs for supplying water to the paddocks, garden and toilets. We have a great many springs in the hills surrounding us but none mapped on our hill. Although I do ferret, trap and shoot I'm more of a farmer and gardener. I have been improving the forage in my area by adding hazel, beech, apples, greenguages, damsons and plums to the hedges. I grow figs, strawberries, black grapes, heritage cucumbers and tomatoes in my greenhouse while outside in the garden I grow seasonal vegetables. Travel without a vehicle in my area would be difficult at first becoming harder as the roads fell into disrepair but as I said earlier I would definitely want to head to the coast for part of the year, (probably by bicycle) where I would set up gill nets and long lines to fish intensively. Cold smoking any catch would allow me to preserve a good amount of protein. Im reasonably good at foraging cockles, limpets, razor shells etc. I'm very into kayaking and I'm comfortable on open water. I think cashing a kayak with some goods inside it would be possible at one of my secondary bug out sites but I haven't done so yet because I don't have a spare.

Can I move in:D:rofl:

Sound good to me mate. I wouldn't leve either. Post some pictures if you can...not because I'm disbelieving you...just so I can drool over them like I did with Keith's:rofl:

I intend to stay where I an initially, I'm part way up a hill tucked into a depression in a hillside, it's a good defensive position that isn't particularly well known, people who've lived in the area their whole lives don't realise it's here. As for water, we already capture rainwater and store it in IBCs for supplying water to the paddocks, garden and toilets. We have a great many springs in the hills surrounding us but none mapped on our hill. Although I do ferret, trap and shoot I'm more of a farmer and gardener. I have been improving the forage in my area by adding hazel, beech, apples, greenguages, damsons and plums to the hedges. I grow figs, strawberries, black grapes, heritage cucumbers and tomatoes in my greenhouse while outside in the garden I grow seasonal vegetables. Travel without a vehicle in my area would be difficult at first becoming harder as the roads fell into disrepair but as I said earlier I would definitely want to head to the coast for part of the year, (probably by bicycle) where I would set up gill nets and long lines to fish intensively. Cold smoking any catch would allow me to preserve a good amount of protein. Im reasonably good at foraging cockles, limpets, razor shells etc. I'm very into kayaking and I'm comfortable on open water. I think cashing a kayak with some goods inside it would be possible at one of my secondary bug out sites but I haven't done so yet because I don't have a spare.
Sounds to me like you have it all sewn up y. Good one. Well done.
Keith.

Can I move in:D:rofl:

Sound good to me mate. I wouldn't leve either. Post some pictures if you can...not because I'm disbelieving you...just so I can drool over them like I did with Keith's:rofl:
Not much to photograph at the moment, the garden is an end of season mud bath. I'll take the iPad for a walk next time the sun comes out. Something on my wish list is a small solar PV system and deep cycle battery that will give me 230V with a minimum of 16amps (I'd like 30amps so I can still weld but it's a cost thing)

Back