• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bass Fishing Exmouth.

Some info here on the regulations Dick..........minimum take-home size is 42cm.

Thanks Bill. I got my info from IFCA who issue my permit for crabs, lobsters and scallops. Take home only one the right size. Shame really. I'll have to target mackerel.

The Bass stocks are under huge pressure.
So the restrictions are very much needed...... Or we could loose one of the best sporting fish we have.
A while back in the U. S. they had a total ban for two years I think it was..... To give their Stripped Bass a chance at recovery.
They now have a healthy sport fishing stock and are more aware of conservation and what they take for the table.
Stopping the illegal netters is still a massive problem though.

If you fancy going for the Mackerel..... When you buy some feathers of whatever ilk....... They will normally come in sets of 6 per string.
Fishing from a Kayak its a good idea to cut the string in half..... Only use 3 feathers.
Makes handling your catch on the Kayak much easier.
Rather than using a conventional weight...... Use a heavy Dexta Wedge instead 👍
Gives you a good chance of picking up a Bass as well.

If only Mackerel grew to 5 lb in our waters.... Great sport :D

Last edited:
Water temps are rising well.

Sent off for a new kayak seat this morning.
Wanting to keep the kit to a minimum on the kayak.....and easily reachable and accessible while sitting sidesaddle.
Only taking lure boxes and a few bits n bobs.

The seat I have ordered has a kind of backpack on it......excellent for storing what I need out on the water.

61H1Ib4H%2BlL._SL1001_.jpg

yizhi2325 Soft Antiskid Luxury Kayak Seat Boat Seat Adjustable Backrest Unisex
Colour Name:No pocket

Not a bad price........and not too much padding on the seat to raise the centre of gravity and effect stability.
All snaps are solid brass too.......jobs a good'un.

Hoping to get out after the Holliday :)

A couple of pictures of the Kayak.
This has to be my favourite after trying many different types years ago.
It is the origanal " Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT"
The build of the origanal ones is far better than the new offerings and the tracking is spot on.

Here she be.
IMG_20190515_094407.jpg
IMG_20190515_094429.jpg
IMG_20190515_094442.jpg

Looking forward to getting out on her soon.

Good for you Joe :thumbsup:......something to look forward to after your opps:)
Nice on a river or lake too.......quiet and peaceful.

For your size and build.....have a look at the "Ocean Kayak Frenzy"

Very similar to the XT.....not to big a kayak to move around.....very car topple.......easy to paddle and remount.
A very capable kayak in the surf too.

You see the odd bargain on eBay second hand with paddle seat etc:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good for you Joe :thumbsup:......something to look forward to after your opps:)
Nice on a river or lake too.......quite and peaceful.

For your size and build.....have a look at the "Ocean Kayak Frenzy"

Very similar to the XT.....not to big a kayak to move around.....very car topple.......easy to paddle and remount.
A very capable kayak in the surf too.

You see the odd bargain on eBay second hand with paddle seat etc:thumbsup:
Thanks Bill

She looks cracking Bill :thumbsup: happy days. Looking forward to plenty of trip pictures:D nice seat to

Like joe this is something I would definitely try....would love fishing of one and the freedom of fishing in the sea or loch sounds blissful mate. Been looking at the galaxy Cruz it’s about £200 and odd. My mate at work regularly kayak’s on the lock and river round here.. could be time to join in me thinks :thumbsup:

That's a good keel shape for cutting through the water. Should keep a good straight line. How many hatches are there. Just the one at the rear?

@divebuddy

Hi Dick.

There are no hatches on the XT mate........what you can see on the boat in the pictures are two sites to retro fit if you wanted to.
One in the cockpit area the small 4 inch round one.....and the other oval one up forward.

I did actually fit both of these hatches to an XT I owned years ago......to be honest I hardly used them.
The front oval one is actually a liability if punching through a reasonable surf......because of the design.....it is a push fit.... not a screw in/on.....it can be popped off by the pressure of the waves....not the ideal :D

Stored most of my kit behind me in the tank well.... within a crate.

They do track very well:thumbsup:

Gagging to get out on it.

She looks cracking Bill :thumbsup: happy days. Looking forward to plenty of trip pictures:D nice seat to

Like joe this is something I would definitely try....would love fishing of one and the freedom of fishing in the sea or loch sounds blissful mate. Been looking at the galaxy Cruz it’s about £200 and odd. My mate at work regularly kayak’s on the lock and river round here.. could be time to join in me thinks :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark :)

Had a similar seat years ago and got on well with it.....I know it offers good support.
Being adjustable you can get it to the position you need for paddling.....and then slacken of for a more relaxed fishing position.

No experience of the Galaxy Cruz Mark.
Have a look at plenty of reviews before you order one......not all kayaks are suited to open water mate.......but ok in sheltered bays....or on lakes and rivers.

I hope you do join in......it is a lot of fun and gets you to places other fisherman and boats can not get too ;)

Back