• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bassing.

Big Red

Quite Addicted
Out on the Avon estuary last evening into the night, 9 Bass in total, but not one keeper. That’s fishing!

Sorry for the wonky photo.......Never even knew I took it. 🤪
78C7D6C5-4E17-42CE-93A7-F6C59D55B7BC.jpeg

It’s a fish I’ve always wanted to target but never got round to it … 9 bass is a good score 👍🏻

are they Babel rods Mike ?

It’s a fish I’ve always wanted to target but never got round to it … 9 bass is a good score 👍🏻

are they Babel rods Mike ?
I guess the 11’ would do the job, but I don’t really know what would make a Barbel Rod tbh mate, the one fish I would love to catch, preferably on the Wye. One day. 👍😀

The reel on the left is my baby, Shimano Baitrunner 4500, awesome reel.

I guess the 11’ would do the job, but I don’t really know what would make a Barbel Rod tbh mate, the one fish I would love to catch, preferably on the Wye. One day. 👍😀

The reel on the left is my baby, Shimano Baitrunner 4500, awesome reel.

like the shimano baitrunners , got one on my carp rod 👍🏻 need to upgrade to another tho

@Ark79

Bass fishing session after your prompting :D

I was halfway there Mark......just needed a shove....thank you for that :thumbsup:

Well....I drove over to Budliegh Salterton and parked in the large car park at the end of the town....huge and plenty of room.
Walked along the beach to where the marsh lands and river flow back into the sea as the tide goes out.
Spoke to another fisherman who was just packing up his gear.......he had nothing to report but reckoned there were a lot of Mackerel about.....the bird activity kind of confirmed that.
I was after the Bass though.....so set about rigging my rod with a Savage Gear Sand eel to try first.

On the third cast of the session I was into a nice fish...a savage take........a Bass without doubt I thought to myself........taking line off the reel like a good'un
Off it went.......... left and right of the beach in front of me.
A crowed gathered and asked....."have you caught a fish?" ...........nearly I said.

Well......as you know..... I am not one to exaggerate
🤭
........I had played the fish to about 20 yards from the shore when all of a sudden there was ANOTHER savage tug on the line.
Franticly..... trying to retrieve the resulting slack line it was obvious that what I had caught...... was no longer on the hook.......or was it.......I could still feel something on the line?
Still retrieving..... I hauled the catch from its sanctuary.... the sea....... onto the pebbled beach.
Well I could not believe my eyes Mark.......laying there before me was just the remains and head of what must have been a 3lb Bass

Talk about an Anglers tale.....story eghh??

Attachments

• 1f92d.png
    1f92d.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 15
Nice one :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a night sesh bait fishing myself......cant beat it.
Love the spinning with lures.....but it plays hell with my back.....1 hour and I am done in and have to pack up :rolleyes::D
Got a nice wide belt that helps a little....but not much.
Used to love rock hopping and would be out for hours.......hey ho.....there you go :rofl:

Tight lines on your next trip :thumbsup:

Sheeet bill, almost buddy 🤷🏼‍♂️ Hope your back doesn’t give you to much jip as I’m party to the action in a way 😂

The savage gear lures was my choice also , good quality 👍🏻👍🏻 Was it a seal that robbed you ?

Better luck next time Mucker….

Not sure what it was @Ark79 mate.
Have a look at the picture tell me what you think?? 🤔
I had changed lures.....the one in the picture is a Bass Bullet.

Seems awful fishy to me :sneaky:

Attachments

• 20211009_111037.jpg
    20211009_111037.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211009_111026.jpg
    20211009_111026.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 85
It’s a heed , just a heed 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Whatever it was it’s got teeth 😳 took its eye too , bloody cheek oh it 😂

No.....it was me that took the eyes Mark :sneaky: ......it was all that was left to eat.
Still think it was a seal?

Manky git 🤢😂😂

Defo a seal mate 👍🏻Cheeky buggers 😂

Hooked into a seal when fishing for tope once, bloody thing shot of like a rocket, shit myself and lost about 200 yards of line 🤷🏼‍♂️

Actually Mark.......I must confess.....the head of the bass was laying on the beach when I got there.:rofl:
I rammed the lure into its mouth.....and then placed the rod next to it for the picture 🤭

I could just see this wonderful opening for a line or two of "Bull :poo:" story telling:rofl:......and took full advantage of it.

I would like to have said......"I had you hook line and stinker"........but did not quite get there egh :(:rofl::rofl:

2007, somewhere off the coast near Adelaide in my Aussie mates boat, with an absolute sh*te of a hangover! I hooked into a fish off the bottom, between the vomit and excitement I fought the bugger to near the surface, when a shark bit the bloody fish and all that was left was the head!

Not my best moment, having to be taken ashore suffering from sea sickness………..I was a Fisheries Officer for 30 years! 🤮🤮🤮

Back