• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Be a considerate camper …….

Time has moved on and more opportunities and options now exist for "considerate campers" to take their poop home in a bag.....or dispose of in a bin on the way home.
Yet they still make reference to burying it.......so outdated now.......we should be making the effort to carry out.......those of us that have dogs hopefully do......no difference.......just fuller..... bigger......... bags maybe :D

Chuck it in with the other rubbish we carry out.

The exception to this would maybe be hikers.....but....then again?

Time has moved on and more opportunities and options now exist for "considerate campers" to take their poop home in a bag.....or dispose of in a bin on the way home.
Yet they still make reference to burying it.......so outdated now.......we should be making the effort to carry out.......those of us that have dogs hopefully do......no difference.......just fuller..... bigger......... bags maybe :D

It does mention carrying out as an option but maybe that should be the default position as opposed to the desired option ….. Al and I were in our spot at weekend and all the best "poo spots" were easily identified by the discarded toilet paper ….. Not from wild campers but from day walkers who couldn't walk the 3/4 mile back to the Pub !!

It really depends on the density or numbers of people visiting an area, cat hole toilets are fine if there is going to be sufficient time for the faeces to break down without it getting disturbed and is well away from a watercourse. Unfortunately most people don't burn the toilet tissue or pack the earth down properly afterward, leaving a squishy little trap for the next person to come along.
The problem is that the density of people currently visiting the countryside to wild camp would soon leave whole tracts of land squishy underfoot if they were digging cat hole latrines everywhere.

The exception to this would be hikers...…...For years and probably since their formation the SAS have always carried away their pooh the bags going in the bottom of the rucksack. The hiker isn't in theory going to be carrying out anymore weight than they carried in

It really depends on the density or numbers of people visiting an area, cat hole toilets are fine if there is going to be sufficient time for the faeces to break down without it getting disturbed and is well away from a watercourse. Unfortunately most people don't burn the toilet tissue or pack the earth down properly afterward, leaving a squishy little trap for the next person to come along.
The problem is that the density of people currently visiting the countryside to wild camp would soon leave whole tracts of land squishy underfoot if they were digging cat hole latrines everywhere.
And of course ill prepared cat holes are prone to 1. animals digging them up and 2. swarms of flies
Simple solution if in doubt take it out

Of course Mike, I'm always on the hop
I'll tell you a little story, back in 1964 up in the Radfan mountains in South Yemen I was part of a four man team in a hide overlooking an entry point where rebel fighters used to infiltrate from North Yemen. Everyday things like taking a dump were always done at night. Anyway there I go in the pitch dark to take a squat and sit straight on a camel thorn bush. My mates curled up watching one of the lads pulling one inch long thorns out of my arse with a pair of pliers

Bloody hell Joe............being as your arse is so close to the ground anyway........that could have been really nasty from a greater height 😖🤭

Sorry for laughing so much Joe...I know it must have hurt but that story has left me in tears of laughter
I can assure you it hurt like bloody hell mate, all was done without the aid of a light and screaming in pain was definitely not on the agenda. For those who don't know the camel bush thorn has little barbs on them and if left in situ will work there way in. In some parts of Africa they are used to make lion proof stock/human enclosures

Back