• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Beautiful day……

Big Red

Quite Addicted
……Spent with Mrs Big Red at our camp, southern edge of Dartmoor, having a tidy up ready for her convalescence after her knee replacement on Wednesday. I just cannot think of anywhere else we would rather be. What a lovely day, 23c and sunny. 👍👍
5EA0F9CE-9813-4EA4-AA2B-DADEC2B2FBC0.jpeg

Very nice, if only, I'm just envious lol, enjoy!
We are so lucky to have this bit of land, we, sadly, don’t own it, but are able to use it as our own. When I left school in 1974, my first job was working on a farm that borders open moorland in the Dartmoor National Park, I have been close friends with the family ever since, I knew about this secluded corner from decades ago, and that there used to be a pond, so I had a sneak around. It was totally overgrown with Bramble and Bracken, and the pond was dry, so I asked the daughter, who I treat like one of my own, if I could “have” it, yep crack on was the reply. A LOT of work has gone into this project, chainsaw and brush cutter working flat out.

We now have a lovely full pond, somewhere to park my truck, a fire area and camping area. All we hear is birdsong, it is our piece of heaven within heaven in one of the loveliest places in Britain. In beloved Dartmoor, in my beloved Devon…….God how I love my county!

Dartmouth is nice. 👍👍

Made the most of a lovely day yesterday took Mrs Red out to our camp her first since her knee op last week. Made a Chilli with rice and Garlic Bread, all done over the fire, it was bloody lovely! I did HAVE to pop up the hill to the lovely village of Holne to meet a good mate of mine for a pint in The Church House. 👍🔥🍻
DBE6B589-9C82-4878-8F3A-EF20AD8BAB51.jpeg
B74E0769-DB3D-4619-BD91-F4F10D5B4EB7.jpeg

I've been wondering where your little hidey-hole could be. I'm a Dartmoor bey myself and I figured it was somewhere east of the moors - Bovey or Ashburton way. I wasn't too far out. Wishing Mrs Red a speedy recovery.

That chilli looks bloomin‘ good! I may have to plagiarise your cooking setup a little. Wishing Mrs Red well with her new bionic bits. 👍
Cheers Mike. I have a large swinging fire anchor on order from TJM, should be with me next week, I will let you know how I get on with it.

The Chilli was lovely! All fresh ingredients apart from tinned beans, the beef came from the very farm where our camp is. 👍

Lovely tidy camp :thumbsup: ......speedy recovery to Mrs Red🙂
Cheers Bill, it is tidy now, probably give it more TLC than my own garden! But 2 years ago it was a mass of bramble and bracken, it is amazing how you can turn it around, the grass just turned up. The pond was put in about 30 years ago to flight duck, hence the Poplar trees, one of them is looking proper ropey, dead about half way up, so will have to come down……My DD Hammock will fit just right. 👍🤔

Hi Mike.

All of that hard work and clearing is paying dividends for you and the family now.....lovely base camp...... to while away a few hours with Mother Nature 🙂 :thumbsup:
An absolute treat for the young'uns.......magic memories for them 🙂

Back