• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Beginner looking to get involved in hunting

luke506

Slightly Talkative
Hi, I would like to get involved in hunting and looking to buy an air rifle for beginners. Please could anyone give me advice on what air rifle I should get, and any other tips for hunting. The animals I am interested in hunting is feral and wood pigeons as well as rats and rabbits.

Many thanks

Hi Luke I live in Norfolk and have got a bsa lightning 22 springer air rifle for sale. It has a Simmons 3 to 9 scope fitted . This was a good first gun for me and I have killed many rabbits with it. I am looking for £150 for gun and scope.

Hi billy, what ft/lbs is it, also, could you hold it for me? I will be going on holiday on saturday, so cannot buy it uuntil after the holiday, if you will how long will you hold it for me as definately interested in buying it. Would I have to pick it up though? Also has it got a manual?

Whoa be careful here... Buyer, take a friend who knows about air rifles with you to make sure the gun is a good one (with Lightnings that can be more difficult than you think) and seller, make sure the buyer is over 18 or you can wind up in the mire up to the top of your ear holes for selling a firearm to an under 18 year old!

As above - read the laws - try lots of different rifles (Lightning is a good start - light weight, powerful but BSAs from this period can be dodgy - sounds like Billy's is a decent one). As a beginner in hunting I'm taking you haven't done much field craft. Whilst you're waiting for your perfect rifle I'd start to practice stalking and range finding. You don't need a rifle but this is what will get you into range to take the shot. Whilst I drifted out of shooting and more into photography the stalking skills were easily transferred.

There's plenty of books and things online to give you tips. My bible is by a chap called John Darling (late) called Air Rifle Hunting. Some of it has dated as it was written in the late 80s early 90s but the tips and skill are timeless.

As for range finding you get yourself one of those hand held jobs but I've always preferred using my own estimate. Easy to do and can be done anywhere. Pick a spot - guess how far you are away and then pace it out.

Once you get your rifle - practice practice practice until you can consistently hit a 10p sized target at 25 yards.

the question i'd would ask first is do you have somewhere to shoot it ????. you can't just go shooting/hunting on any old piece of land you need permission from the owner.

also have a read of theses links
Airgun Laws
Airgun Buyers Guide

I havnt asked anyone yet, but my dad works on a farm, I know that the farm owner has allowed others to shoot on his land. I will ask him as soon as I can.

Luke if you do not want to buy a secondhand rifle get over to Philip Webster Gunsmiths at Swamp Lane Great Ellingham, just over the border in Norfolk, he can sort you out a Hatsan 60S, scope, pellets and probably a gun slip too for £150, that is new, from a dealer!

As of yet we don't know how old Luke is, as the Prince says,proceed with caution. If Luke is old enough he might benefit from going to an airgun store and checking out the rifles that are within his budget.

you make it sound like im trying to rob the lad, its a good grouping springer gun to start with and is well up to the task of taking live quarry.

I am not making it sound like that, but if the mainspring breaks in 6 months time are you going to fix it for the lad? The Lightning is also known to be one of BSA rifles less than successful imports from Gamo, there are good ones out there and if you have one fair play to you for being so open and offering it to the OP at such a good price.

Yes, you were Prince. I thought the same when I read your post. :p

My first thought when reading the first three posts by Luke and Billy, was actually 'well done guys' that's the way folks should communicate with each other...then all the 'old hands' jumped in giving dire warnings about this 'n that. :mad:

I know all of us have to be very careful these days about our way of life (I've never classed killing animals as a 'hobby') but there certainly wasn't any need for everyone jumping in and stating the bleeding obvious! It proves just how paranoid the shooting fraternity are becoming, always on the defensive, so much so it makes me feel sick to my stomach sometimes.

In my humble opinion, both of them acted with honesty, decorum and manners. :cool:

My caution is that we don't know how old Luke is,nor do we know if he has shooting insurance,etc. The rifle offered by Mr. Cooper sounds like a good one,but it may not be suited to Luke.My advice is still to proceed with caution,and that Luke needs to look over what is available in his budget range. I cast no aspersions on Mr.Cooper for his offer.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Thankyou for the tip, I might do that, but I am 18, it should say so under my name. My DoB is 05/05/1995. Also, I would be careful, I would have asked Atleast if I could test it first If possible.[/FONT]

OK so it is safe for him to sell the gun to you (have to be careful, some police forces have used under age buyers to catch sellers). The Lightning is a great gun, easily pointable, great to get on target with! There have been plenty of reports of them being good and plenty of reports of them being bad, but £150 for the gun is a GOOD deal (check out the new prices at Youngman's in Yarmouth, £239 for the gun alone)!

i should have said, the gun had a service new spring and new trigger unit when i brought it about six months ago, and luke is welcome to try the gun out. I found this a good gun to start with, some of my friends have fancy looking air guns but thats all they are, they can hit anything. this is no pcp but a good gun to find out if you are going to enjoy and stick at shooting

i should have said, the gun had a service new spring and new trigger unit when i brought it about six months ago, and luke is welcome to try the gun out. I found this a good gun to start with, some of my friends have fancy looking air guns but thats all they are, they can hit anything. this is no pcp but a good gun to find out if you are going to enjoy and stick at shooting

Also being a BSA Lightning, if you do not like shooting, want to sell, you should get your money back, unlike buying a new Hatsan when it will be about two thirds the value when you hand over the cash (same with most new rifles).

Just having had a service adds to the value, should give at least a couple of hassle free years before it needs a service!

Back