• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Beginners kit list

Bungalow!!!! More like a bloody great mansion Bill:rofl:

ha that is funny. i was actually thinking, if out camping where Bill is then you wouldn't need any kit....just find a spot in his setup and claim squatters rights when challenged. it will take him a few days before he realises anyone is there with him:rofl:

The part of my kit i love tge most has to be my ferro rod and nice fire kit of kindling.

ha that is funny. i was actually thinking, if out camping where Bill is then you wouldn't need any kit....just find a spot in his setup and claim squatters rights when challenged. it will take him a few days before he realises anyone is there with him:rofl:

The part of my kit i love tge most has to be my ferro rod and nice fire kit of kindling.
The benefit of that John is that he leaves all his food at the far end so you could help yourself:lol:

What a terrible suggestion:eek: the way you backfire at night I set up as far away as possible:p

:rofl:.........reminds of that quote from the film "Appocolipse Now " I think it was??

"I love the smell of napalm in the mornings"..........well Joe........." I love the small of methane in the rain " :whistle::D

:rofl::rofl:........so cruel John..........oh by the way mate.......hope those hiking boots of yours are comfortable.....its a long walk to Scotland :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::p:rofl::thumbsup:.

Agree with you....a good fire kit is a priority........fire biscuits are my favourite part of the fire kit....never failed.....yet :)

:rofl::rofl:........so cruel John..........oh by the way mate.......hope those hiking boots of yours are comfortable.....its a long walk to Scotland :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::p:rofl::thumbsup:.

Agree with you....a good fire kit is a priority........fire biscuits are my favourite part of the fire kit....never failed.....yet :)

Fire kit - absolutely. Always have more means of making fire than just one. Camping out on the edge of Salisbury Plain last summer I woke to an extremely soggy and squally morning, after it had p***ed down all night. Had dry tinder, firesteel/ferro rod and firewood in the tent, plus hexamine tabs and a box of waxed matches. Wanting a brew the quick and easy way, I opted for the latter. The matches had absorbed so much ambient moisture through the box and the wood overnight, they were useless. I ended up lighting the hexamine with the tinder box. MORAL: if you use matches, keep them in an airtight, plastic container. Or carry a ciggy lighter instead, even if you don't smoke.

Fire kit - absolutely. Always have more means of making fire than just one. Camping out on the edge of Salisbury Plain last summer I woke to an extremely soggy and squally morning, after it had p***ed down all night. Had dry tinder, firesteel/ferro rod and firewood in the tent, plus hexamine tabs and a box of waxed matches. Wanting a brew the quick and easy way, I opted for the latter. The matches had absorbed so much ambient moisture through the box and the wood overnight, they were useless. I ended up lighting the hexamine with the tinder box. MORAL: if you use matches, keep them in an airtight, plastic container. Or carry a ciggy lighter instead, even if you don't smoke.
Back in the day badger we used to take swan vestas and dip the first inch or so into molten paraffin wax and the always worked

Back in the day badger we used to take swan vestas and dip the first inch or so into molten paraffin wax and the always worked

Exactly what I did, Joe. And this was the first time they failed me. The ambient humidity was so high the striker on the box wouldn't work. So I tried my nail file, and the matches simply fizzled and went out before producing a flame.

Exactly what I did, Joe. And this was the first time they failed me. The ambient humidity was so high the striker on the box wouldn't work. So I tried my nail file, and the matches simply fizzled and went out before producing a flame.
Sounds like the sort of humidity we used to get in Aden Badger, sometimes well over 90%

Matt Mac, Reference ex-army ponchos - when you are looking at one, hold it up to the light so you can see the pin prick holes that will let in the water when used as a groundsheet, when used as a bivvi top sheet or as a 'raincoat' the slope will make the rain run over a pinprick hole (but not a larger hole), unless it is a monsoon.
To seal the 'head hole' use the head draw cord (pulled tight) tied with an overhand knot, then fold the hood over double and tie again with a reef knot; thus the water would have to go around a tied off 'U' bend.

Or avoid the older hooded ones altogether! The newer basha sheets are bigger, fold up smaller and are younger so are less likely to be worn out!

Yes, you are right 38; but you (and Mister Badger) talked about hooded poncho's; besides if you have a tarp type you will also have to carry a set of waterproofs.

Although not clear I meant the more modern basha sheet rather than the original hooded poncho.

Waterproofs (jacket anyway) are more effective than a poncho for everything other than standing still!

If you only have a poncho as soon as you have set up your shelter then you don't have a waterproof to wear whilst doing everything else, which is important in Britains invariably damp climate where it plays an important part of the layer system.

OK, again true; but personally I always run 'hot', so I hate waterproofs & willies but when it is throwing it down even I need to cover the top layer!

Did you finish this project?

I would be interested in a completed packing list that contains prices and weights of the equipment.

Back