• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Beginners leather work

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Hi,

I have a leather tool kit that was issued to my father in the 1960s when he worked for the GPO; after the best part of 65 years some of the stitching has come adrift.

Could some of the leather workers steer me in the direction of a beginners kit and ideally YouTube how to video so I can effect a repair.

Cheers

I’ve got some needles, thread and beeswax that should be suitable if you can get the existing holes to line up. You can fake up a clamp easily enough.

image.jpg

I’ve got some needles, thread and beeswax that should be suitable if you can get the existing holes to line up. You can fake up a clamp easily enough.
That’s kind but I’m quite happy to buy myself a starter kit; less than a fiver on Amazon as I may then use it to repair other things but would appreciate some guidance on what I actually need.

The existing holes are all still there, I may potentially miss a few out as I’m aiming for functionality rather than elegance!

If I scrummage through my dad’s tools I’ve probably got one! There seem to be a fair few kite marks and government property stamps; I’m sure he bought it at a surplus sale…..

Back