• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Benghazi burner

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Always know how these were used on the Wedtern desert in WW2 but never tried it.

Had some petrol of indeterminate age that I didn’t want to chance in the car so its been reserved for mower and petrol stoves.

Made myself a petrol stove out of an empty bean tin, very trial and error; think I may have over filled it with sand (or possibly petrol or both) as after a bit it would burn but putting the pan on it tended to dampen it down and put it out and it was also susceptible to the wind. It left a lot of soot on the pan.

Will wait for it to cool down, remove some sand and try again tomorrow!

If you do want to drill holes in a beam tin, to make a stove or roughy billy I found filling it with water and freezing it makes it easy to drill without distorting.

Attachments

• B5EFB554-F169-4D89-80A4-EAAFF71D9C2A.jpeg
    B5EFB554-F169-4D89-80A4-EAAFF71D9C2A.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 96
  • D2DD9E9D-7309-4309-BBF5-035C0EE0C784.jpeg
    D2DD9E9D-7309-4309-BBF5-035C0EE0C784.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 421
  • C66AF76C-836E-4C83-85AF-595D7E56DFB4.jpeg
    C66AF76C-836E-4C83-85AF-595D7E56DFB4.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 127
Always know how these were used on the Wedtern desert in WW2 but never tried it.

Had some petrol of indeterminate age that I didn’t want to chance in the car so its been reserved for mower and petrol stoves.

Made myself a petrol stove out of an empty bean tin, very trial and error; think I may have over filled it with sand (or possibly petrol or both) as after a bit it would burn but putting the pan on it tended to dampen it down and put it out and it was also susceptible to the wind. It left a lot of soot on the pan.

Will wait for it to cool down, remove some sand and try again tomorrow!

If you do want to drill holes in a beam tin, to make a stove or roughy billy I found filling it with water and freezing it makes it easy to drill without distorting.

From experience I know how effective they are but soot will always be a problem. There was no shortage of very fine gravel where I was so we used to use that instead of sand and then use it to scour the soot off the pans

I'd always been fascinated since watching the scene in Ice Cold in Alex where the German agent is handed the biscuit tin and told to brew up. When my brother in law had to drain old petrol out of his mower I thought I'd give it a go. I will admit a little trepidation and used a long stick to actually light it but it worked without drama and I was surprised how long it burnt for. Probably not the most efficient cooker available but nice enough to know about "just in case".

Very much “a just in case” for me; I think the pot could have done with being raised and then it would have faired better, I may remove some of the sand and try again to see if it works better with a lower flame height.

Planning on having a play with a host of different ways of cooking.

Maybe need a bigger tin to act as a windbreak although that’s getting to the point where an improvised emergency stove is getting a bit pre-meditated….

Back