• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Best and worst

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
We all have Tents, tarps ,knives ,axes, fero rods, stoves etc etc , this/ that, whatever !.

I was wondering (price aside what the best purchase and worse are.

Mine best being my solar charger does work really well (£90 ish plus postage to france)
worst would be my tent (Outwell earth 2) also about £90 ish

price does not matter whats the best purchase/worse

Best, as Joe says. my 3x3 superliight tarp, worst.................too many cheapo's, advice, save and buy the best, the money I've tried to save over the years could have bought the best of the best.

Best Buy for me was my small forest axe at 90ish....best tool I have by far..

Worst was a pair of hunting boots I bought for £50...extremely painful to wear and let everything in lol. Can’t remember the name....funny thing is I’m a tad determined so I wore them for about a year before giving up on them:D

Best Buy for me was my small forest axe at 90ish....best tool I have by far..

Worst was a pair of hunting boots I bought for £50...extremely painful to wear and let everything in lol. Can’t remember the name....funny thing is I’m a tad Scots so I wore them for about a year before giving up on them:D

I corrected that for you mate :)

Worst? Polish army bed roll (no not the massive Czech Officers thing) £10 dog bed, 🤣
Best is more difficult, bearing in mind I am deffo old tech.....possibly Swedish Army Trangia or the wunnerful Polish army lavvu.....or........

Nah.....my wooden canoe!!!

My best stuff is original military equipment.
I own Swiss and Swedish equipment which is more than 100 years old and still working fine. Wehrmacht equipment before 1944 had an outstanding quality too.
But I also have a lot of fifty years old NATO stuff which is great.

Only the most expensive civil market leaders produce stuff at the same level, like Ortlieb, Hilleberg old original Swedish Fjällräven stuff, and custom made stuff, like deer leather shorts, double stiched german and Austrian mountain boots, cotton tents, which are made like the one hundred years old military stuff I own.

I bought a lot of civil stuff in the nineties, which just went to the bin. That's the reason, why I now a days usually buy ultra cheap or extremely high quality, but not any longer in between.

Now a days I use a lot of lightweight stuff as you no. But I can't really compare it with the other stuff.

It works very good, but currently for round about 5 years.
If it has the same quality like my old stuff, I can tell you in fifty years. Hopefully.

The worst? Mülltec products.

Last edited:
Best - Mora companion knife all of £12
Worst - cant remember the brand but a cheap twig stove off of Amazon. Fiddly to assemble with a habit of disassembling itself and doesn't have enough room to really get something in there to generate much heat without constant feeding. The latter is probably user over expectation to be honest.

Best axe, an Elwell 2 and 3/4 pound limbing axe with a 24" handle, versatile and light weight. My worst ever axe, a roughneck splitting maul that nearly broke my wrist it was so badly balanced.
Best knife, an original K J Ericsson mora steel knife, worst ever was one called a Buffalo River.
I only own Three tents but they're all so different that it's unfair to compare them but the Best Buy was an absolutely unused Vango Venture 500 for the price of a couple of pints. No good in windy conditions but ideal for a tall bloke doing a spot of summer glamping.
The most usefull tools are my Leatherman wave or my SAK, nothing to choose between them.

I've had several really good buys.
The first is the Lidl backpacking tent. weighs 1.5 kg, has been through thunderstorms, howling gales and even a bit of sunshine ;) Not once have I got wet and not once has it suffered in the wind. Brilliant tent.
Then there's the replacement for the backpacker tent, a Vaude Grande Campo 3 laughingly known as the pavillion. Amazon had a brain fart and I got a £350 tent for £80!!:D
Then there's my two Sterno stoves. The regular stove and I got the inferno version for my birthday. They are both fantastic and I wouldn't be without either of them.
Worst? A compact briefcase type stove. God awful and failed.

Back